Install CD won't mount on desktop-Suggestions?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

Keith Henry
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Install CD won't mount on desktop-Suggestions?

Post by Keith Henry »

Greetings,

My new Symphonic Instrument just arrived today and I'm having a problem with the install. I have precisely followed proceudures-copied the MSI.dat soundbank to my HD and when I insert the Instrument Install CD, the CD does not appear on the desktop. I have rebooted the computer and a window will appear asking to intialize or ignore CD.

I did not put the MSI.dat on my OS HD but, on my samples HD (internal) in a folder I labeled MOTU Symphonic-could this be the reason (thoough I doubt it). Is there any key I can hold during CD insert which will cause the CD to be recognized? I have notified MOTU tech after registering.

Mac dual 1.25 G4, OS X.3.8, DP 4.6

Thanks

PS I just inserted the Install CD on one of my older OS9 machines and get a disk is unreadable message, I'm now thinking it's a bad disk.
papageno

Post by papageno »

It is easy to isolate the problem:
Take a few disks, including the problematic MOTU installer disk and try themall in your two machines. If other disks all mount in both computers and MSI installer gives problems in both then the disk is corrupt indeed.

You can also install MSI from installer image, if you can get hands on it. That is small, about 60MB. I have made backup image from my MOTU install disk and installed from it. There is no piracy problem either because you will have to have your iLok dongle anyway.
+372 56222285
wotan

Post by wotan »

Keith, I've got the exact same problem, only on Windows XP. As you said, the install CD won't mount. Guess why? It's totally blank.

I tried rebooting, etc., just like you. Then I let Nero (CD burning software) look at the disk. Nero says it's a BLANK CD-R.

It appears MOTU produced a batch of MSI's with blank installer CD's.

I can't find a 1.0 installer on the MOTU website, just a 1.1 upgrade. The 1.1 upgrade specifically says it requires a complete install of 1.0, so it's not likely to work.

It would be nice if MOTU would provide a 1.0 installer file on the website, since piracy is not a problem with the iLok. It's Sunday so I've e-mailed them. Meanwhile, we're screwed unless somebody can post a 1.0 installer for us. :roll:

Regards,

-Doug Wells
Keith Henry

Post by Keith Henry »

Thanks for your replies. I've just received my new install disk from MOTU and it did work OK. However, the ver 1.1 update doesn't work. It took me a while to figure out what was happening-I finally realized if I stopped at the ver 1.0 install, MSI showed up just fine as a VI in DP 4.61. But, if I updated to ver 1.1, MSI no longer shows up as a VI in DP 4.61. So, I'm just staying at 1.0.

Regards,

Keith Henry
wotan

Post by wotan »

Keith, did the Standalone in ver 1.1 run at all?

I'm on Windows XP, and all I can get is a bunch of red and grey squares instead of a normal program screen. MSI also won't show up in Ableton Live 5's VST browser.
_______
Dell Dimension 8200 2GHz 512MB, 300GB HD, M-Audio FW410, microKontrol, Live 5, MOTU Symphonic Instrument, Korg D1600mkII, Peavey DPM Si
Keith Henry

Post by Keith Henry »

wotan wrote:Keith, did the Standalone in ver 1.1 run at all?

I'm on Windows XP, and all I can get is a bunch of red and grey squares instead of a normal program screen. MSI also won't show up in Ableton Live 5's VST browser.
wotan, sorry to leave you hangin' out there... yeah the stand alone version was opening under version 1.1. Good luck-did you notify MOTU tech support about your problem?

Ciao
enigmatunes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by enigmatunes »

wotan wrote: I can't find a 1.0 installer on the MOTU website, just a 1.1 upgrade. The 1.1 upgrade specifically says it requires a complete install of 1.0, so it's not likely to work.

It would be nice if MOTU would provide a 1.0 installer file on the website, since piracy is not a problem with the iLok. It's Sunday so I've e-mailed them. Meanwhile, we're screwed unless somebody can post a 1.0 installer for us. :roll:
I'm fairly certain that the MSI updater (currently 1.1.1, which, according to posts I've seen here and elsewhere, seems to have fixed most people who had issues with 1.1) can actually function as the complete plugin installer. My assumption for this is that a) you can install the MachFive 1.2.3 updater without a prior install from the CD and use it (provided you have a MachFive Sounds folder and an auth'ed iLok), and b) technically when MOTU says that the updater requires a previous full install they could argue that they are referring to the .dat file which is copied off of the DVD.
Has anyone tried installing just the MSI 1.1.1 download? My hypothesis is that if you've got the .dat file and the iLok (and iLok extensions) it will all work.
"Where do these stairs go?" ...
"They go up."
Eyalc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Eyalc »

I saw this post while searching the forums.

I just received a 24 I/O this week, and the install cd is blank! It won't mount on a mac or a PC. Bummer.

Anyone have an expansion installer for a PCI-424 available that I can download? There's no download on MOTU's website (unfortunately).

Very frustrating.
wotan

Post by wotan »

Sorry Eyalc,

MOTU did the same thing with the Symphonic Instrument! Good lord. To top it off, they've refused to give me a refund, even though the latest version won't run on my Dell, after dozens of hours of tinkering.

I hope you get better support than I did.

If you ask them, they'll mail you a proper install CD, but of course you'll be delayed several days.
_______
Dell Dimension 8200 2GHz 512MB, 300GB HD, M-Audio FW410, microKontrol, Live 5, MOTU Symphonic Instrument, Korg D1600mkII, Peavey DPM Si