Mic/Recorder For Live Interviews?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
dmshep
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Mic/Recorder For Live Interviews?

Post by dmshep »

I have a friend who publishes a magazine and is looking to expand into podcasting. She currently uses and iPod with mic attachment, but is looking for something that will begin to approach broadcast quality, but still be portable and compact. Any reccommendations?
Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jim »

I just saw an article about a new mic that has a flash recorder built in. It may be ideal for your pod cast. Unfortunately, I don't remember who makes it, but it shouldn't be hard to find with a search engine.
Spikey Horse

Post by Spikey Horse »

It's not cheap!

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=7827

For that price I would rather get a (2nd hand?) portable DAT and use a separate mic.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Yup, it's pricey... Now. Next year, it'll be ten quid.

Still, it's a pretty cool idea.

I've seen portable Flash, HD and CD recorders by Fostex, Sony, Marantz for around $250.
Newsles

Post by Newsles »

I work in broadcasting (radio) and we still use Minidisc for outside reporting. The compression isnt an issue with voice at all. MD's are now pretty cheap, tho you DO have to watch how you handle domestic models - the pro ones are sturdier - but more expensive!
I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the anwser I gave a moment ago...G4-upgraded G3, DP2.72, Korg 1212 card, Fostex 8-channel AD/DA converter, Korg DW8000, Novation Basstation, Kork M1rEX, Vintage Keys Plus, Akai S2000, Transcendent 2000 monosynth, Presonus ACP8 8-channel comp/gate, Behringer Multicom, Zoom and Yamaha external FX and a few other bits and pieces!
glsimonsen

Post by glsimonsen »

Maybe 3 months ago Electronic Musician reviewed 6 or 8 field recorders.