Consulting?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
jdwhitak
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Consulting?

Post by jdwhitak »

I ran into to a guy at Guitar Center recently and we began talking. Come to find out he is putting together a project studio. After talking some more he asks if I would help him put it together. What to buy, how to use it, etc.
I said sure, but only if he paid me to do so.

My question to you guys is how much should I charge and how (hourly or flat rate)? Also, wanted to get your opinions on turning this into a side business.
Seems like everyone has a home studio these days and they enevitably run into problems or need advice on something. I'm pretty knowledgeable and would like to make some money off of that knowledge.

Thanks!
m2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by m2 »

I can't tell what will work in your town but I know of guys who do that very work for folks with both entry level home project studios on up to large installs at commercial studios, churches and such. They charge aroung 50.00/ hr and usually tell people up front that this is about a 4 hr gig and so on.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3