movie file type

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
shproductions03
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

movie file type

Post by shproductions03 »

I no this is not really the place for this question but I cant find the answer around. Can someone tell me the diffrents between a DV., MOV., & Quicktime file and which one is the best to work with in DP
Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jim »

DV is a compression scheme

.mov is a movie file type

Quicktime is an AV wrapper for computers.

A DV Quicktime movie will work with DP.
shproductions03

What is the right QT frame rate for audio at 24-bit-48K
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Are you PAL or NTSC?

I would then set the frame rate in DP accordingly, although it never seems to make much difference unless you are actually syncing externally.

Stephen
shproductions03

I would be NTSC. I'm asking so I now what to ask the video editor for.
29.97 NTSC DV. Quicktime file? Should it be what ever frame rate the video is being used at, Does Quicktime support diffrent frame rates
and do you ask for the video in smaller lengths. like 20min. clips or something. So you don't have 2 hours of stright Quicktime file. Sorry so many question. Trying to get this all right for my first video job. If I have a two hour live concert with 48 track audio that was recorded lock to SMPTE TC. with the live video, will my Quicktime movie I get from the editor stay lock to my multitrack audio.
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

shproductions03 wrote:29.97 NTSC DV. Quicktime file? Should it be what ever frame rate the video is being used at, Does Quicktime support diffrent frame rates
and do you ask for the video in smaller lengths. like 20min. clips or something. So you don't have 2 hours of stright Quicktime file. Sorry so many question. Trying to get this all right for my first video job. If I have a two hour live concert with 48 track audio that was recorded lock to SMPTE TC. with the live video, will my Quicktime movie I get from the editor stay lock to my multitrack audio.
Ask him what frame rate HE's using for that particular project, and then make sure he gives you a video with the same fps. Quicktime supports all kinds of frame rates, DP only supports the following: 24, 25, 29 ndf, 29 df, 30. So make sure he doesn't give you something at 23.98 for example. Your concern is not quicktime itself, but DP: you have to use one of the frame rates I mentioned above. Be aware that DV is 200 MB/min, which means 2 hours would be +/- 24 GB... If you have 20 mn reels, then it's more 4 to 5 GB/reel.

Make sure he understands which *CODEC* you want, because it always end up in a quicktime file anyway, what's important is the codec and the frame rate.

I often hear editors "assuring" me they'd make 'quicktime files'.... Duh ! ......Be very specific about your needs....
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc