Toilet Paper Research

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
qo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Toilet Paper Research

Post by qo »

Wow, I'm impressed with the rigor with which the author debunked a, then prevalent (1986), practice. It's like a well-written "who-done-it" with the culprit revealed in a surprise ending.

Examining the Yamaha NS-10M "Tissue Paper Phenomenon"

Unfortunately, myriad new myths prevail these days. We need a new generation of audio sleuths with the discipline and analytic wherewithal of Bob Hodas. Kudos! (20 years too late :-) )
markwayne

Post by markwayne »

Thanks for the link. That really brought back some memories.

I know it's really un-cool to say, but I still love and use a pair of NS-10s every day. Several years ago I began using them with a sub which sorted the non-existent low end and now I find them to be a great reference speaker. I trust them more than any other speaker in my mix room.

sad, isn't it?
Wayne
DP 5.13, Reason 5, Logic 9, Melodyne 3, Live 7, Cubase 4.5, OS 10.5.8 on main desktop, 10.6.3 on laptop. Old analog gear, synths and guitars and heat-belching transformers and tubes.
Jim

Post by Jim »

From the article:

"As I can best determine, this (tissue paper) phenomenon began on the East Coast with an engineer that was having a string of hits, and who spoke of his NS-10M monitoring technique in a number of different interviews. Other engineers then zeroed in on the technique, hoping that it would give them the secret for producing hits. And so the legend grew."
Last edited by Jim on Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

I tried to start a rumour that I mixed not with TP on the tweeters but dangling over my ears, citing that this gave more reliable results.

Fortunately nobody took any notice!

Stephen
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

BTW, first thing I would do visiting a new studio would be to remove the tissue from the NS10s. Secondly, I would remove the NS10s.

Stephen
wylie

Post by wylie »

OK are we talking new or used tissue