896HD Channel dead - Now What?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Empire 21 Music
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

896HD Channel dead - Now What?

Post by Empire 21 Music »

Channel #1 In is kaput (I believe). No signal from mic/line in. I DO KNOW what the next step is - but I want to get an idea of whats in store - I am reading these boards, hearing horror stories about sub-par Tech support and outrageous turn around times. Am I at the mercy of MOTU? I believe I am - but I am looking for possible solutions that i might be overlooking. I have since moved my inputs to 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 now. If I have to send this in - I'm gonna be using my Rosetta 200 instead (which is actually better but less inputs)

I will probably sell this unit as-is instead of waiting for the fix.

Can someone help?????

Kevin
Empire 21 Music
qo

Post by qo »

What did you have plugged into Channel one? Mic, or line level signal? XLR or TRS? Or have you tried both? Is it still under warranty? What DAW and OS (we need to eliminate software issues). Are you familiar with CueMix?

If you're sure it's not software...

Do try plugging both TRS and XLR into channel 1's Neutrik connector if you haven't tried this already. If it's a dirty connector, then one may work when the other doesn't.

If it's not under warranty...

You might also try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the Channel 1 Neutrik connector. If that doesn't help (and if both XLR/TRS connectors don't work) and if you're proficient at such things, remove the cover and examine that connector for obvious things, like a loose wire.
Empire 21 Music

Post by Empire 21 Music »

Yes - Good Ideas - I need to look at it a bit more - I have tried both XLR and TRS connections - I won't be able to get to it until Saturday since I am out of town - but will get some contact spray as well.

I am using Logic Pro 7.1, Mac Dual G5 2.0, CueMix, OSX 10.4.3