Can't control volume on 896 Main Out

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
phaseshift
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can't control volume on 896 Main Out

Post by phaseshift »

Hi guys. I have an original 896 that I've had for years. I've never used the audio out on it before. I've only used it as in input for my Mac Powerbook, and used the headphone jack.

I've just purchased a G5 Quad with the intent of making it a super audio workstation. I have downloaded the latest drivers from MOTU, and audio outputs 1 and 2 are connected to powered monitor loudspeakers.

Or should I say LOUDspeakers. First of all, the Sound control panel, the volume control on the Mac menubar, and the Audio MIDI Setup app give me no control of the output volume. I also find that the Volume knob on the 896 has no affect. The switch next to it is in the MAIN OUT-PHONES position (as opposed to PHONES ONLY). The knob is fully counterclockwise, volume should be closed. The volume controls on the speakers themselves are turned up only about 1/8 of the way. Everything is blasting out way too loud! I have no control!

In logic or reason, I have to turn the output way way down on the mixer. In iTunes.... one click from the volume totally down is about as high as a dare go.

Is there something I'm missing? How do I fix this?
Last edited by phaseshift on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
qo

Post by qo »

If the toggle switch is in the MAIN OUT+PHONES position it should control the volume of the main outs. Perhaps the toggle switch was installed upside down, or became loose and turned upside down? Try the other way, just in case. In the PHONE position, the Volume knob only affects the phones and the main outs are at full blast (we've all griped about this brain-dead design in other threads).

Also, you mention both the 828 and the 896. Which is it? Or you have both?

One way to fix this for certain is to buy a Presonus Central Station and use that for your volume...
phaseshift

Post by phaseshift »

qo wrote:
Also, you mention both the 828 and the 896. Which is it? Or you have both?
Sorry. 896.

I currently have it disassembled due to a document I found on MOTU's website:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... 8%20volume

which I now see is about the 828, not the 896. No wonder I can't find the jumpers. D-oh!
phaseshift

Still no good.

Post by phaseshift »

I've tried qo's suggestion of trying the switch in the "phones only" position. No difference. Either way, I get no control over the main output volume.

I have put back the 30 screws I took out to try to fiddle with jumpers when I thought it was an 828. I have also corrected the subject of this tread, and my initial message.

The presonus suggestion might be valid. If I can't fix this, I might have to buy a new audio interface.

Do other MOTU interfaces allow Core Audio to control the volume, through the Sound system preference for example?
qo

Re: Still no good.

Post by qo »

phaseshift wrote:The presonus suggestion might be valid. If I can't fix this, I might have to buy a new audio interface
Hi phaseshift,

I have an 896HD and used to have a Central Station (CS), and the two work great together. You'd connect the 896's main analog outs to the CS, and then connect the CS to your powered monitors. So, no need to buy another audio interface :-) IMHO, the additional benefits of the CS (multiple headphone feeds, talkback, mono check, fast/accurate metering, and a stereo DA converter that's not too shabby) make it a nice addition for the 896. The only reason I sold the CS is because I bought an external analog mixer and am using that instead. But, I loved the CS. It's a very nice box.

There's also the Mackie Big Knob which has some of the same capabilities. Either would solve your issue.

My guess is that the volume knob on the 896HD controls a VCA for the main analog outs, and somehow its control connection to this VCA isn't working). The feel of the volume knob on the 896 is that of a digital encoder, rather than the signal actually passing through this knob (i.e. it doesn't feel like an analog resistive volume control). Does it control the headphone volume OK?
phaseshift

Post by phaseshift »

I'll give the presonus or big knob solution serious consideration. Both have features I suspect I'll never need. Mine is a personal project studio.

As for the headphones, the volume control works fine with the switch in either position.
qo

Post by qo »

Hi phaseshift,

I just reread your original post where you say:
...and audio outputs 1 and 2 are connected to powered monitor loudspeakers.
I think that's the problem. The volume control does not control the volume of the numbered audio outputs. Rather, it controls the outputs labelled "MAIN OUT" (these are on the left hand side, as you're looking at the back of the unit, right next to the AES/EBU XLR jacks.

Can you confirm which outputs you're using and, if you ARE using outputs 1-2, then move the connections to the MAIN OUT XLR jacks and try again?
SLD

Post by SLD »

You said "I have downloaded the latest drivers from MOTU, and audio outputs 1 and 2 are connected to powered monitor loudspeakers." Audio outputs 1 & 2, not the main out? If so, the volume control will not change the level of these. The other control, to the left of the volume knob (not anywhere near the unit now and cant recall what it's labled) may do what you want. It will control the outputs in groups of two (outputs 1&2, 3&4 ect). pressing the know will select which channel pair it controls, and will be indicated on the input meters with the meters giving the current level setting of each pair and the clip light indicating which pair is being contoled at that time.
Hope this is of help or did I totally miss the question?

Best wishes
Steve
Steve
phaseshift

Post by phaseshift »

This is why I love the internet. Smart, observant users supporting users like me who are doing something stupid. Yes, qo and SLD, I am attached to audio outputs 1 and 2. Not the Main Out. I didn't notice a Main Out. I'm at my day job right now; but when I return home this evening, I will correct my dopey mistake. :oops:

I'm usually not this dumb. Thank you both for helping me with this!

--------
Update, confirming what qo and SLD said, I was plugged into the wrong outputs. :idea:

Confirming what I said, I'm stupid. :?

Thanks!!!
qo

Post by qo »

Hey man, glad to hear you got it sorted! If it's any consolation, last night, I poured a glass of Merlot and then proceeded to walk to the fridge, get the milk and pour a bit into the Merlot :shock: I just stood there for a second watching the milk and Merlot get weird with each other and going WTF was I thinking?!?!?! I then realized that I must have thought it was morning and the Merlot was a cup of coffee. Brain fart! Doh! We all do things like this (I hope)! :P Either that, or I'm f'ed :-) I ended up tasting the concoction, just because you never know when you might discover the next really cool drink by accident. Nope, I wouldn't recommend this particular combination, heh.
phaseshift

Post by phaseshift »

I've heard that one shouldn't mix their drinks.... this must be what they're talking about! :wink: