Interesting Program... listens to radio and identifies songs

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Interesting Program... listens to radio and identifies songs

Post by James Steele »

Check this out:

http://www.wildbits.com/tunatic/

It was mentioned on www.macintouch.com today. In theory, you can have your computer listen to a radio station or other audible music source and identify the songs. The software connects via an internet to a server that stores sonic "fingerprints" of recordings and can identify the recording by "listening" to it. I haven't tried the demo for it, but my mind is searching for the possibilities. Seems like it would be very useful if you wanted to log songs a radio station played for the day. Seems like maybe performing rights organizations could use this? They also claim you can make your own "fingerprint" files and upload to their sever, thus adding to the songs it can recognize. In theory, an independent artist could fingerprint the songs off their own CD, and probably set up the software to monitor a normal radio station via audio input or mic, or route a streaming internet station to it and monitor how many plays their song might get. Cool. :-)

James Steele
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
johnnytucats
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by johnnytucats »

ASCAP is probably already using a system like that. Three years ago, at the publishing company I was working for at that time, they called and requested a CD of our ASCAP cuts just for that purpose.

Interesting that a database is accessible online now.
yofo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by yofo »

It would be cool to try to fool it . I've heard that Dave Gregory (xtc) has done recordings where he completly nails various records from Hendrix and others. I wonder if it could tell the difference.
Mac OSX 10.6.8 2 x 2.66 GHz dual-core Intel Xeon 8GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RME Fireface 800