Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Ildon wrote:I couldn't even get the update to work. After a few hours of trying, I gave up and uninstalled MSI, since I can't even use version 1.0. Damn MOTU.
Dude... are you on a PC or a Mac? And you can't even get the installer to work? That sounds like something may be wrong on your end as well, so maybe give some details and someone can help you. Granted it's not as fun as cursing at MOTU I suppose, but then again do you want to get it to work or just rip on them? If so, that's just fine too, but go do it in the Off-Topic forum. Thanks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Ildon
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Ildon »

Finally got the update to work (guess all it took was a reboot... weird), and with the updated iLok and software, I didn't crash once in an hour or so of testing using Cakewalk Homestudio and the stand-alone version of MSI, which is a first. MOTU would get points for that but... now the GUI glitches every time I do something to it, and there're all kinds of pops and crackles in the samples, even with the ASIO buffer latency set at 100ms! I just can't win.. Oh boy, I'm going to give this thing away, it's not worth the trouble. I really want to like MSI, but them's the breaks.

As for you, James, it has nothing to do with MOTU being perfect. It has to do with them being professional, and MSI is the most unreliable, unprofessional piece of equipment I've ever used. These companies think they can just release buggy software and think it's okay because "they'll update it." We're not test dummies, that's what they have a beta team for. Most of these are truly crippling bugs too, and some of us have deadlines and expect software from a supposedly reputable company to work right.

Ah well. I'll just avoid software from now on.
alexff

Post by alexff »

So..

For the record, I uninstalled the update, and switched back to V.1
This caused me no problems and I'm back to where I was, preupdate.

When I first got the MSI update, I instigated it in a new project to have a play, with no problems.

It's only when I started to load projects which had used V1.0, that I fell into problems. I was intenting to go through these older projects one by one, delelting the instances of MSI contained within (after saving the multis), then install the new version of MSI, finally re-opening the projects and inserting the new MSI (make sense :?: )

My question to you gents (and ladies?) is..is anyone using the MSI v.1.1 happily without crashes, glitches etc for real world projects in DP?

I will report my findings obviously, but someone should warn me if the plan above is doomed to failure!!! What's killing me, is that feature wise this is an excellent update, those 64 parts...will save me killing the processor with multiple instances of convolution...

Many thanx
Macbook, Leopard 10.5.1, Logic 8.01, MOTU Traveler.
---------------------
http://www.smoothbeatsonly.com
sklathill

Post by sklathill »

No problems. 5 instances of MOTU, packed with my whole standard symphony orchestra, every instrument with all or almost all of their keyswitch variants setup.

Big yay for disk streaming and less memory usage. :)
sklathill

Post by sklathill »

One thing I found interesting about MSI vs. other libraries out there. With VSL, GPO and East West in particular, there were a lot of guys out there not only playing around with the sounds and software, but also pushing out in the public prior to and in the first days of release.

I'm not seeing anything like that from MSI and its users...and by now, it's been out for a full quarter.

I'd love to put out a demo...but I know I can't. I'm still learning this thing. It's taking a surprisingly long time to get this thing up to the quality of sound I want. Right now, mini Miroslav Akai converted to Vsampler 3 and a couple of Prosamples CDs are still beating it in the quality department...and that's kind of distressing. I expected a learning curve, but I'm just not getting used to the sound of this thing yet.
alexff

Post by alexff »

sklathill wrote:No problems. 5 instances of MOTU, packed with my whole standard symphony orchestra, every instrument with all or almost all of their keyswitch variants setup.

Big yay for disk streaming and less memory usage. :)
Good Man. I shall therefore continue on my quest.
---------------------
carlosbur

Post by carlosbur »

Hey Guys

I've just found this forum,I'm having the same problems!

Bought Motu Symphony Orch last week,it worked ok apart from some slight clipping noise on the strings,even though the output was'nt clipping.

I saved all of my recent work using the MOTU(mainly strings)...saw the software update on motu's website(which I duly installed,thinking it would iron out the clipping bugs)

Now evertime I try and open a song which uses the MSO, Damn logic crashes
I have dual 2.0GHZ G5(Tiger) 3 GiG Ram..Logic 7.1
Thing is.. I've only had the G5 a short time, so I'm not as well up curings App problems ,as I was on Os9,so pretty annoying when a company puts out updates that make matters worse.
:twisted:
Peace and goodwill to all men
motumacman

Post by motumacman »

MOTU come on its christmas eve and no fix for the MSI 1.1 bug.... Look i am very technical and wouldnt mind being a beta tester for you guys as the ones you have now are not really working.. case inpoint the MSI 1.1 updater..... Im just sitting here waiting for the problem to be fixed and MSI to work again... without having to roll back to version 1.0..!!!!
draxo

MSI 1.1

Post by draxo »

I'm having problems with this update as well. After installation on DP 4.61 there is no MSI instrument in the select instrument track pull down menu. The stand alone works ok. I was on the phone to MOTU on Fri. and he had me try everything with no success. He couldn't help so I'm back to version 1.0 which works fine. Any ideas out there?

TIA

David

Dual G4 500mHz 1.5gig RAM various other stuff
motumacman

Post by motumacman »

This really bothering although i can use the msi dat file in mach5.. i still would love the ability to use the msi interface
springuy

Re: MSI 1.1

Post by springuy »

draxo wrote:I'm having problems with this update as well. After installation on DP 4.61 there is no MSI instrument in the select instrument track pull down menu. The stand alone works ok. I was on the phone to MOTU on Fri. and he had me try everything with no success. He couldn't help so I'm back to version 1.0 which works fine. Any ideas out there?

Dual G4 500mHz 1.5gig RAM various other stuff
Hi
all I can say is that this update works fine on DP 4.61 and Logic Pro 7.1.1 on my dual G4/1 GHz...
When I reload a 1.0 project in DP, I just have to affect the MIDI channels 1->A1, 2-> A2, etc.. not what i call an issue...
And Logic doesn't seem able to handle more than 16 MIDI channels per plug-in, that's a Logic limitatio nor so it seems...
So I'm really wondering what's going wrong on your computers, guys because I'm SOOOOO happy with this update , a real Xmas gift for me.
:D
MAC/PC musician.Logic pro on Mac, SX3 on PC.
motumacman

Post by motumacman »

whats going wrong on our computers!!! nothing is going wrong with our computers, its the MSI Updater this also happended with a USB MIDI Driver update once Motu admitted nothing and quietly put out a fixed version for download after sometime.. but i wouldnmt expect you to know this as you use Logic this thing doesnt work thats whats going wrong sir please just move on to another thread.. dont piss me off please...
alexff

Post by alexff »

:?
Hmn, well the solution (for me) using MSI 1.1 in existing DP projects appears to be: Re-insert the (new 1.1) plugin and repopulate the sounds from scratch. Even loading a multi saved in 1.0 seems to crash the program.

Oh well. Its just as well I've only been using the MSI thus far for R&B strings.

As a general observation, 1.1 seems to be more of a processor hog than 1.0. But, the extra features make the upgrade worthwhile.
---------------------
motumacman

Post by motumacman »

hey alexff im having the issues as well PM me when you get a chance...
arthur24

DP Crashes on launch with MSI 1.1

Post by arthur24 »

Just good to know that i'm not alone with this problems. For the time I reinstalled MSI 1.0
which works -- hoping for a new update from Motu.

G5 single 1.8 ghz