Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

bkshepard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bkshepard »

Has anyone else experienced DP crashes during Bounce to Disk after installing MSI? I had never had a problem with BTD crashes until today when I had an MSI track up. No matter what type of bounce I tried DP would crash as soon as I clicked OK in the Bounce window. Removing MSI, everything worked fine. Putting MSI back in--crash! I can reproduce it every time.

-Brian

G4 Dual 1GHz, OS 10.4.3, 1.5 GB RAM, DP 4.6.1, MachFive 1.2.3, MSI 1.1
bsantoro

Post by bsantoro »

Yes. It also happened to me. I had to route the mix to a new stereo channel; then record the track. I then edited the track in an external editor (Soundtrack Pro) in order to save it to disk as stereo .aiff file. This is a round-about way to bounce to disk.

I was going to contact MOTU tech support about bounce to disk not working.
MacBook Pro 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM- Yamaha Motif7- MOTU 828 - Motu MIDI XpressXT - MOTU Digital Performer7.23 - Ableton Live8 - MX4 - Symphonic Instrument - Roland GR-55 - Godin xtSA MIDI Guitar

http://web.mac.com/bob_santoro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alexff

Post by alexff »

Well, I did a 5 hour session with MSI 1.1 today with no problems or crashes. I moved the MSI.dat file back to the application support folders(s) as suggested on this forum, and it seems to have worked.

So far. 8)
Macbook, Leopard 10.5.1, Logic 8.01, MOTU Traveler.
---------------------
http://www.smoothbeatsonly.com
TOD

Post by TOD »

bsantoro wrote:Yes. It also happened to me. I had to route the mix to a new stereo channel; then record the track. I then edited the track in an external editor (Soundtrack Pro) in order to save it to disk as stereo .aiff file. This is a round-about way to bounce to disk.

I was going to contact MOTU tech support about bounce to disk not working.
Same BTD issues here. :evil:
DP 5.13 dual G5 2.7 synced to dual 1.42 via SMPTE, Muse Receptor (filled with Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Atmosphere, Elektrik piano, Disco DSP), OSX.410, Ableton LIVE, Apogee Big Ben, Apogee mini DAC, MachV, Symphonic, Ethno, M-Tron, Mx-4,Latigo, Jupiter Vi, iDrum, Microtonic, Kontakt3, Bassline, Bassline Pro, Ultra Focus, Novation Basstation, Novation Drum Station, Nord Lead2, JD-990, EMU Proteus, Orbit 2, MicroKorg, UAD, Poco, Altiverb, VW2, Waves, Ozone, to name a few :)
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

I found that I can record the output of MSI to an audio track, then remove MSI and BTD works fine. I seem to only have crashes when MSI is instantiated onto a track.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
Mzartop6
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MSI 1.1 and Logic Pro 6.4.1 - Vanishing MSI

Post by Mzartop6 »

FYI -This is what I got .......

I don't see many Logic users here but I will post what I know anyway.

Updated to 1.1 and the stand alone works like a champ. However, MSI does not show up in Logic's instrument track pull down menu. Hell, I can't even record the outputs to an audio track! Checked and double checked all paths and repaired permissions ...yada...yada....yada! Still not working in Logic. And yes; Logic crashed for me two times last night when I tried to close it, but only when closing it with the MSI stand alone running.

This is a real bummer because I liked the idea of streaming samples. I guess I'll go back to 1.0 for now. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I dont realy know if Motu is going to work the problem out for Logic. We'll see.

Just a bummer!

Hisssss!........boooo!

Tommy

G4 DUAL 1GHZ/ 1GB RAM/ 500GB, OSX 10.2.8, 2408III, XT, LOGIC 6 PRO, ARTURIA MOD V, VOICE MASTER PRO, ROLAND XP-80, KORG TRITON, YAMAHA HX-1
springuy

Re: MSI 1.1 and Logic Pro 6.4.1 - Vanishing MSI

Post by springuy »

Mzartop6 wrote:FYI -This is what I got .......

I don't see many Logic users here but I will post what I know anyway.

Updated to 1.1 and the stand alone works like a champ. However, MSI does not show up in Logic's instrument track pull down menu. Hell, I can't even record the outputs to an audio track! Checked and double checked all paths and repaired permissions ...yada...yada....yada! Still not working in Logic. And yes; Logic crashed for me two times last night when I tried to close it, but only when closing it with the MSI stand alone running.

G4 DUAL 1GHZ/ 1GB RAM/ 500GB, OSX 10.2.8, 2408III, XT, LOGIC 6 PRO
Hello
Although I can understand you stick with Logic 6 (I'm using Logic 7 but it's only became "usable" from version 7.1) I really think you should update your system to Panther or Tiger (10.3 or 10.4) I have the same computer and it works fine with both systems and I REALLY won't go back to 10.2...
What ever you offer me to :-)

That said, it works fine on the same computer with Logic 7, I didn't check with logic 6...

Cheers
MAC/PC musician.Logic pro on Mac, SX3 on PC.
lamboguy

Post by lamboguy »

Interesting thread...

I'm running SI on a mac mini and it's working great.

Now, not to say I haven't had any problems -- including those crashes early on -- but they've been minimized by simply turning off the reverb completely in SI, and using an external reverb unit.

I'm doing full orchestral stuff on a mac mini! Sheesh, it's amazing.

I'm now starting to run into a memory crunch, but that's to be expected. Can't wait to move on to a "grownup" computer. ;^D

Cheers all,

Fred
dmsaudio

Post by dmsaudio »

Hi,

Just bought MSI...and I know better, but after loading up v1.0 (used it in PT7 to make sure it worked) I blindly upgraded to v1.1 because it said it would work stand alone.

So MSI installed a folder with the program in it, but it has a big circle with a line through it and when I double click it says "You cannot open the application "MSI" because it is not supported on this architecture". I am sorry if this has been discussed (but I did not see it in this thread) but anyone have any ideas what this means? It can't mean it will only run on the new Intel Macs can it?

BTW, v1.1 still loads up fine in PT7, although didn't try much audio through it. So I guess based on this v1.1 is compatible with the PowerPC Macs, but then whats the deal? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks,

Dave

2.5Ghz G5, 10.4.3 2Gig Ram, PT7[/img]
hugy

Post by hugy »

hi,

Try upgrading to 10.4.4.
Maybe apple mess up with 10.4.3

MSI is running fine in standAlone here using 10.4.4

Hope this helps.
dmsaudio

Post by dmsaudio »

Thanks for the reply.

That may very well be the problem. But unfortunately for me, Digi has not "approved" 10.4.4 for use with PT7. And I heard a rumor that it may never be...they may wait until 10.4.5 (or what ever revision) come out from Apple.

If MOTU tech support happens to read this, maybe they can confirm if v1.1 has conflicts with OSX 10.4.3. I am going to email them as well. Thanks,

Dave
dmsaudio

Post by dmsaudio »

Anyone else running OSX 10.4.3 and v1.1 of MSI successfully?
forestk

Post by forestk »

Hi,
MSI Version 1.1.1 Updater is now available. :)
What changed by Version 1.1 to Version 1.1.1?

Sorry for my english...
papageno

Post by papageno »

forestk wrote:What changed by Version 1.1 to Version 1.1.1?
I also found no info what has been changed since verion 1.1.
1.1.1 release notes are the same as 1.1 release notes.
Weird... maybe Motu fixed some embarassing bugs and they dont want to say it out loud :oops:
+372 56222285
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As I am now using MSI in every project, I don't know whether it is to blame. But as I am used to DP crashing, it hasn't really concerned me. And crashes have become less frequent since the latest DP and OS X upgrades.

What I find consistent about crashes is that they happen if you click a button too fast. That is, the "busy" cursor gets replaced by the "ready" cursor before DP is truly ready to receive another command. And that crashes it.

So I just try to be patient and wait longer after a save before doing a bounce to disk, and wait longer after a BTD before another save.

I find that I must consistently save at almost every juncture to avoid crashes. As this is good policy anyway, it doesn't really bother me.