Thinking about moving from DP/dae to native ???!!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
edham
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Thinking about moving from DP/dae to native ???!!

Post by edham »

I am considering moving from DP running on top of an hd accel rig to just native (on a dual 2.5)

Anyone made the move from dae to native ?
did you miss the digi cards/plugs/ etc ?

Or was it a happy day to be rid of the dae issues?

thanks for the input!
giles117
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by giles117 »

I have used DP both ways and oprefer native.

Only drawback is as you load the system with plugins, system runs slow down......Not like HD which just runs out of power when you load it up.

But...With my COmbination of Native and UAd powered plugs I generally dont have that issue often...

Guitar Rig is a Processor hog though. :) Had 3 instances running with a host of other plugs and ended up at 50% and jerky operation, once I froze I was down to 25% and smooth again.....
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
spirit
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by spirit »

Also think if there are any plugs that you will no longer have access to, and weigh that against what ones you might gain access to. The input converter quality (would using PT core audio avoid the sort of complications that can happen with DAE).Tracking with EFX and minimal latency? A dual2.5 can get bogged down with several softsampler/synths doing multiple voices- wouldn't it be worse if the processor had to do reverbs and delays as well?