Ext HD config and DVD backup questions

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Ext HD config and DVD backup questions

Post by Spikey Horse »

Some quick questions of on best sample HD config ...

I have 2 internal Sata drives (250 GB) in my G5 - the second I use purely for BFD and Kontakt samples. As it is now full I am now going to start using a Lacie 300GB d2 external HD as another sample drive. I also use another Lacie d2 for DP projects via FW 800.

Question 1 - is it better to daisy chain project drive and sample drive on the same FW800 or use one on FW800 and one on FW400?

Question 2 - for a sample only HD what is the best format to use? Also, is partitioning a good idea? ie I was thinking one small partition area which I could use for my own samples (ie ideas that may stay on drive or not) and so only this partition would get fragmented. The main one would stay clean...

Question 3 - I also need to backup a whole load of old samples and projects (over 200GB). I usually use DVD+ for sample backup/storage - what about dual layer DVD's? can a G5 superdrive even write dual layer DVD's? - I noticed my toast certainly has an option for it. But maybe dual layer is more prone to errors and scratches....? (I find normanl DVD's bad enough)

Question 4 - was thinking of using my old G4 to do the all the DVD writing - it's not a super drive, just a DVD read/ write. Do you think the G4 is going to be more prone to errors (when writing about 50 DVD's) just because it's older or is it likely to make no odds?

Thanks! :D