Selling full songs

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Selling full songs

Post by wonder »

i write songs and people want to buy them. Lyrics, musics, even some production.

how much would you charge?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
wonder

Post by wonder »

hey guys...no replies yet.

Just a question if you guys can help.

I have songs that Im looking to sell and have buyers. How much would i sell the songs for? And do/should I keep the rights?

ANY help would be appreciated.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

I don't know anything about selling songs outright to other artists, but have you checked out or talked with anyone at ASCAP or BMI? I'm assuming you'll want to track usage and collect royalties, right?
wonder

Post by wonder »

i AM a member of ASCAP but ASCAP only works with RADIO, TV, and PUBLIC play ... not with CD mechanical license rights.
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

wonder wrote:i AM a member of ASCAP but ASCAP only works with RADIO, TV, and PUBLIC play ... not with CD mechanical license rights.
I just thought they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Are you yelling at me with all these caps?
wonder

Post by wonder »

well, trying to get someone to help is like going to the DMV and asking them for a same day appointment. it just aint happening.
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

wonder wrote:well, trying to get someone to help is like going to the DMV and asking them for a same day appointment. it just aint happening.
Wait, are you comparing Unicornation to the DMV? Or ASCAP? Or me? Or all of us?
wonder

Post by wonder »

holy •••• dude. chill out.

quit picking a fight.
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

wonder wrote:holy •••• dude. chill out.

quit picking a fight.
Sorry. Misinterpretation. I wasn't picking a fight. Just goofing off -- trying to keep it light.

Except I was serious when I suggested asking some at ASCAP. Do you think that's a bad idea? My experience is these organizations are familiar with a lot of related organizations and can help direct you toward the answer you need.
johnnytucats

Post by johnnytucats »

There's definitely someone at ASCAP that knows more than most of the folks here. It's an organization of writers and publishers, after all. Someone there should be able to help.

Mechanical rates are fixed. Go to HarryFox.com to see the current rate. A publisher (currently YOU) collects those. It's a standard sort of contract thing.

You don't mention any sync licensing so I won't either.

ASCAP will collect performances for you once you've registered the songs with them.

Production charges are a different subject. How much do they want to pay? Will they go elsewhere if you ask for a little more? Will you really make any significant money from the royalties or is the production money and a new line on you bio all you will get?
wonder

Post by wonder »

well, basically ... i wrote songs (4), tracked them as a demo.

now an artist wants to use those tracks on her album.

So .. is this what would/should happen?...

she buys the tracks off of me for a fixed amount. THEN ALSO pays HarryFox for the mechanical licenses? (HarryFox DOES represent my Publishing Company).
MT

Post by MT »

You'll probably want to make a deal with her that allows you to retain some of the publishing rights on the music, at minimum. johnnytucats has the right idea - if you're already a member of ASCAP, contact them. They'll steer you in the right direction.

Congrats though!

MT
G5 Dual 1.8 | LynxTWO A,B,LS-ADAT | 2-Bus LT | UAD-1 | DP 4.6, 10.4.5 | DFHS VC | Reason 3 | Site | 50/50 Films
"Blade... Laser... Blazer"
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

MT wrote:You'll probably want to make a deal with her that allows you to retain some of the publishing rights on the music, at minimum. johnnytucats has the right idea - if you're already a member of ASCAP, contact them. They'll steer you in the right direction.

Congrats though!

MT
He should retain ALL the publishing rights...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
johnnytucats

Post by johnnytucats »

How much would you charge to demo the songs if you hadn't written them? Or, maybe that's what you're really asking. Giving the artist a deal on the demos would be speculative on your part...hoping that something bigger will come of it.

Another thing...are they expecting any more work from you on this or are they just taking your files and doing what they please?

Getting to money...maybe some of the other guys on here could give you a more accurate estimate, but I'd say a good demo track might range between $500 to $2000 depending on how good it is and where you are. A reduced rate per song for multiple demos might be negotiated, also.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

johnnytucats wrote:Getting to money...maybe some of the other guys on here could give you a more accurate estimate, but I'd say a good demo track might range between $500 to $2000 depending on how good it is and where you are. A reduced rate per song for multiple demos might be negotiated, also.
It really relates to how much he can demand based on the quality of the songs (a VERY subjective thing) as well as his experience in the area (which appears to be none to little in terms of selling or he wouldn't be asking - this is not a knock at you, original poster, but an observation of your problem.)

If a band wants to record a tune and sell CDs, he should consider the mechanical rate (about 7 cents per CD produced) and make sure he is properly credited in his ASPCAP repetoire, on the CD jacket, etc. If its a hit (and he hasn't signed off on any of his writer or publisher shares) then he'll be in good stead. If it isn't, he still owns it and has a produced demo to play for another band who might make it a hit. Or not.

If they want a buyout, that is an entirely different matter and certainly not a smart thing to do without a lawyer and a detailed contract (and lots of $$$.)

Stephen Foster sold "Oh, Suzanna" for about $25 and never saw another dime. It was the highest selling piece of sheet music of all time (may still be!) So in this case, let the SELLER beware!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS