Unisyn Device Profiles vs. Patch Lists

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

slippedout
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Unisyn Device Profiles vs. Patch Lists

Post by slippedout »

(previously posted in a different topic, but I wanted to address this as a separate issue)

Cherry Picker is great for creating patch lists (as .midnam files) for devices that MOTU or Apple has not provided. Audio MIDI Setup will see the device, and DP will display the patch lists. But how does Unisyn work with these patch lists? From all I have been told and experienced, Unisyn will only work with Device Profiles. Unisyn will help the user to manage patch lists, but ONLY for the devices it has a profile for. How does a .midnam file equal Unisyn Device Profile? Please help me out, because I'm not understanding this.
robMartin
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by robMartin »

Unisyn communicates directly with your synth using sysex messages - so it builds up patch lists by actually downloading the patch names from your synth - at least for the RAM banks.

Once it has the data from your synth, which includes all the patch parameters along with the names, it stores it all in a file.

This file is not the same as a midnam file since the parameter info is not part of the midnam format.
slippedout
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by slippedout »

robMartin wrote:Unisyn communicates directly with your synth using sysex messages - so it builds up patch lists by actually downloading the patch names from your synth - at least for the RAM banks.
Without a Device Profile, how can Unisyn communicate with my synth? I am not understanding this.