LINE SPLITTERS?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
jon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

LINE SPLITTERS?

Post by jon »

This question concerns line splitters in a live setting? I am looking for up to 3-4 inputs and 2 outputs per each input.

Since they are rather expensive I was wondering if anyone has some experience they would like to share. What brand works best for you? Whirlwind or Pro-Co? What is the difference between a parallel or isolated output?

:)
MAC PRO 2x2.26 / OSX 10.7.2 & 6 GB RAM., POWERMAC G5 2x2. / OSX 10.5.9 & 4 GB RAM., MAC BOOK 2.0 / OSX 10.7.2 & 2GB RAM.,DP 7.24, Logic Pro, Motu 896mk3, Lynx Aurora 8, Motu Ultralite Mk3, UAD-2 6.1.0, Mackie Onyx 800R, V-Drums.
methezer

Post by methezer »

As far as brands go I can't point you one way or another, but I will try to field your isolated vs. parallel output question. I do know that whirlwind makes a bazillion different configurations of their splitters depending on how many inputs you need etc.

Basically what you are talking about is taking a mic or line signal from the stage, splitting it, and sending it to 2 mixers. In the parallel output configuration there are certain times (depending on brand of mixer, type of signal etc...lots of variables) where when you make a change on mixer A it will effect the signal going to mixer B (or vice versa). My understanding is there is nothing fancy about a parallel splitter (basically a Y cable in a box)

Isolated outputs use a transformer to separate the signals of the 2 outputs to avoid this situation. Hence, isolated output splitters are probably going to run a little more than parallel.
cases05
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by cases05 »

There are several possible types of splitters:

passive split not isolated:
Basically the typical Y-Split, Ground and Audio Wires are shared. Be carefull to set Phantom Power noly on one mixer, not on both connected devices.

passive split isolatet:
Audio Signal is isolated by a mic or line transformer.
Phantom Power doesn't have any effect. If using those splitters, check for an external Phantom power to insert before the Split, or verify the splitter is able to provide phantom power.

active split: Isolated split with gain control.

As i understand you basically want to split 4 Inputs to 8 Outputs. The cheapest solution is to build yourself 4 XLR split cables. Works perfect for most applications.
jon

Post by jon »

Thank you both!

Spltting the signal in a large loud live hall is the only way to go regarding getting a clean signal to disk for me or others recording the event.

:)
MAC PRO 2x2.26 / OSX 10.7.2 & 6 GB RAM., POWERMAC G5 2x2. / OSX 10.5.9 & 4 GB RAM., MAC BOOK 2.0 / OSX 10.7.2 & 2GB RAM.,DP 7.24, Logic Pro, Motu 896mk3, Lynx Aurora 8, Motu Ultralite Mk3, UAD-2 6.1.0, Mackie Onyx 800R, V-Drums.
qo

Post by qo »

Just to add one thing. Depending on the mixer, you can split the signal of each channel (to record it direct, which I'm assuming you are wanting to do) by inserting an unbalanced (tip/sleeve) connector partially into the channel's Insert jack (up to the first click).

This taps off the channel's signal without breaking the internal signal flow through that channel and effectively acts as a splitter. Could save you some $$ if your mixer has channel inserts and if you're not using them for other things...
forsooth

Post by forsooth »

hey Jon .....go here for more info on splitters

http://gearslutz.com/board/forumdisplay.php3?f=21

I record live gigs mainly and I got tired of problems in various clubs with mixers etc.
I bought a 24 channel Whirlwind splitter from Steve Remote over on gearslutz ( his real name!) and never had a problem since.

Mines is more than you need .... it's a 24 channel with isolated outputs and transformers. Expensive but gets rid of all the problems with the board. I take the direct outs and I supply phantom power if needed. I use Whirlwind Medusa snakes ......worth their weight in gold.

I would never go back to my old way of doing it. Go look at the Whirlwind site. They have smaller splitters too.

good luck

forsooth :D
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Splitters that use high quality transformers are the only real total solution for live recording where total isolation must be maintained.
If you try to use a Y cable you are asking for trouble.

In recording trucks, who do it professionally, there would only be high quality Jensen or similar transformer splitters used.

The sound quality of such a devices is also beyond repute.

I suggest speaking to the engineers at Jensen transformers who are commonly available by phone to discuss bridging splitter products.

Good luck.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2