Canopus Weidness?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
dgrussell

Canopus Weidness?

Post by dgrussell »

I am using a Canopus ADVC-100 to convert video to DV via iMovie. I want to capture a few scenes from a DVD I scored but it seems the box is doing something weird. Whenever I play a particular DVD, the picture goes from fine to looking like there is a red overlay every few seconds. I have tried this DVD in 2 DVD players importing into the Canopus. It does it on both. If I run the video out directly to my TV it is fine. And if I play the DVD in my internal DVD player its fine. It is only when it goes through the canopus box does this happen (and I have tried the capture with HyperPrism and it does the same thing). When it has this redness the "status" light on the box lights up. When it is fine the light is off. I have tried other DVDs in this config and they are fine. Why doesnt the Canopus like this DVD?

Thanks,
David
mhayesmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mhayesmusic »

David,

Man, I wish I could help you out. Canopus' middle name is "Wierdness". I use this box in 3 different studios on a daily basis. I have not exactly experienced the particular problem you are talking about, but a plethora of others. Have you tried their tech support. I remeber it being somewhat good. How was this DVD made? Is it a mass produced DVD or directly from your client?
DP 4,G4 DP 1.25 ghz, 1 gig ram,2408 mkI, MTP AV, Reason, Mach Five, iDrum, SoundSoap, Garritan Personal Orchestra,Ptools LE Mbox, Korg Triton, Oxygen 8, M-Audio Pro88 Controller, S4 Plus, FCP,DVD SP and many other goodies with pretty lights
Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jim »

Why don't you look into MPEG Streamclip (for Mac)? It can rip the video off a DVD and convert it to a QT movie, bypassing the Canopus.