Re: Trouble remembering Micro-lite settings. - RESOLVED

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Gerry M
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Trouble remembering Micro-lite settings. - RESOLVED

Post by Gerry M »

Hi,

Well, this is embarrassing………… but the one thing I can’t get to work in my studio after moving my system to another room is my micro-lite which I need to talk to my JV1080.

I’m coming out of my M-Audio keyboard controller via USB into micro-lite then out of micro-lite to MIDI in of JV1080 but there is no flashing MIDI when I press a key on the controller and flashing on my Micro-Lite.

“Sorry for the stupid question” Any help would be gratefully appreciated (please see attached pic)

Regards

Gerry.

Imac 27inch (late 2012) 3.4Ghz i7, 32gig ram, OSX 10.14.6 Cubase Pro 10. VEP 5. Focusrite 212 Audio interface (3rd generation)

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 00.41.56.png
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 00.41.56.png (502.17 KiB) Viewed 189 times
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Trouble remembering Micro-lite settings.

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... for starters, your JV 1080 should not have 8 MIDI IN ports. It probably responds to multiple MIDI CHANNELS, but probably should only have ONE MIDI IN port.

Just now I went to Audio MIDI Setup and added a JV-1080 by using the drop down menus and this is was the result:

JV-1080.jpg
JV-1080.jpg (136.37 KiB) Viewed 180 times

Notice on the instrument at the upper left there are only TWO triangles. One is the MIDI IN port... the other is the MIDI OUT port. You should not need multiple ports. Notice I'm in the "Properties" tab... not the Ports tab. It's a little different when I'm in the "dark mode" because you see the "Transmits" channels are all blue. Those are actually de-activated... as counterintuitive as it may seem. When you look at "Receives" below that, those indicate the MIDI channels it's set to receive on and those will present as different MIDI destinations in your DAW. You can see that they're currently all available. I know typically with Roland stuff it defaults to MIDI channels 2-9 and then MIDI Channel 10 is for the Drum/Percussion instrument. So I'd click on MIDI Channels 1 and 11-16 to deactivate them.

So as for your JV-1080, I would delete it and then create it from scratch so it only has one MIDI IN port in and one MIDI OUT port.

But looks like you have a bigger problem and that is that the Micro Lite should appear in the window as a MIDI interface. It's not there. In your screenshot you're connecting your Keystation directly to the JV-1080. Not sure if that really will do anything. You'd need to see your Micro Lite in that window. Notice how in the screenshot below you can see my MOTU 828es as an icon. That's because it has a MIDI IN and OUT and I could connect other MIDI gear to it and use it as an additional interface. Currently I don't... as you can see I use my MIDI Express XT for that:

828esMIDI.jpg
828esMIDI.jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 180 times

So essentially your Micro Lite should appear in the Audio MIDI Setup window as a MIDI interface like my 828es does. You would then connect the the MIDI Out Port on the Micro Lite icon to the the MIDI In port on your JV-1080 after you create a new JV-1080 instrument with just one MIDI IN port and one MIDI OUT port. Since your Keystation connects via USB, I'm not sure you need to connect its icon to anything in the AMS (Audio MIDI Setup) window. Pretty sure the only lines you have to drag and connect are when you are using old school 5-pin DIN plug MIDI cables to connect an older device like the JV-1080 that does not have USB.

Anyway... I'm starting to get confused... but hope this helps. Bottom line though is you probably need to make sure that you installed the correct MIDI driver for the Micro Lite so that it shows up as a device in the AMS window. You can get it from here: https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=2&product=19

NOTE: Just saw you're on macOS 10.14.6 which is Mojave. So when you follow that link... click the button that says "VIEW ALL DOWNLOADS" under the picture of the Micro Lite. Then on the next page click "NEXT" and at the top of that page you should see Version 73220 which is the latest version that supports macOS 10.14. That would be the one I would download and install.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have a couple things to add.

After installing MOTU drivers in High Sierra or later, you have a 30 minute window to do the following. If you miss it, reinstall and try again.
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... ers-mojave

The MOTU MIDI installer sometimes has conflicts with other drivers. The normal resolution is to completely remove any conflicts, reinstall the MOTU driver, verify that your Mac can see it, then reinstall any audio drivers you may need.

The micro-lite is a currently supported unit. Even if the hardware warranty is expired, MOTU Support can walk you through getting it working correctly. They did for me about six weeks ago.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gerry M

Post by Gerry M »

James Steele I've been a pro musician/composer for 40 years and I have to say thank you for your prompt reply and excellent
straightforward and comprehensive reply it got me up and running in no time. Keep up the good work.

Thanks again and greetings from London

Gerry. :D
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gerry M wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:35 pm James Steele I've been a pro musician/composer for 40 years and I have to say thank you for your prompt reply and excellent
straightforward and comprehensive reply it got me up and running in no time. Keep up the good work.

Thanks again and greetings from London

Gerry. :D
Ahhhh... I'm glad it worked out!!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!