Run a legacy DP setup in a Macbok M3 virtual machine

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stublito
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Run a legacy DP setup in a Macbok M3 virtual machine

Post by stublito »

Are the new Apple Silicon Macs fast enough to run a VM of a legacy DP setup.

I have a complicated DP live performance environment (using legacy plugs that are no longer supported) running on Mojave on a 2018 Macbook Pro i7. At this point there is no path forward for me.

I am considering hosting the Mojave environment in a Virtual Machine on an M3 Macbook? Any experiences?

Otherwise I'll be stuck in Intel land forever.

Peter
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Run a legacy DP setup in a Macbok M3 virtual machine

Post by bayswater »

Similar thoughts and questions here, and I’ll be interested in any advice you get. I have some old apps I want to keep using, and my old Macs are likely to die a lot sooner than yours. You probably have several years of life left in a 2018 MBP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Questions like this have been asked for years—ever since Catalina shipped. The answers keep coming back that it should be possible. Then the subject dies and we never hear back.

The M1/2/3 are certainly fast enough. Unfortunately, that’s only part of it. It’s not enough just to install macOS 10.14.6. Networking, Audio and MIDI drivers need to be installed and/or Core Audio has to be enabled. In my case, if printing cannot be made to function, it’s of no use. YMMV.

I wouldn’t try it below High Sierra because of APFS but that’s not your issue nor would it be mine.

I got tired of following the various MacRumors threads years ago though I sometimes check back now and then.

The Encore and BIAS Peak Pro boards would really like a solution, too. Many threads that end in “it should work”.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Maybe think about moving to Windows. The support for your Mac legacy plugs may be supported in current Windows configurations without issue. If you were up to date on everything Mac, I wouldn't consider this recommendation. Being dependent on legacy, you've got a better shot with Windows at this point. AU plugs may be an issue though.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1