Remote controlling G4 MacMini running Unisyn on my Mac Studio

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Remote controlling G4 MacMini running Unisyn on my Mac Studio

Post by James Steele »

This is Unisyn 2.0 running on an old G4 Mac Mini that I'm screen sharing on my Mac Studio:

Unisyn-MacMini Screenshare.jpg
Unisyn-MacMini Screenshare.jpg (195.69 KiB) Viewed 387 times

Replacing my iBook G4
Some of you may have been following my saga in another thread. I have been using my old iBook G4 to run Unisyn and controlling it over screen sharing with my Mac Studio (currently on Sonoma 14.4.1) I also used this USB switch (with a convenient wired remote) to choose which Mac was connected to my MIDI Express XT. For sequencing, it would be on the "1" for my Mac Studio. If I need to do some sysex operations, press "2" and it switched to my iBook G4.

This worked pretty flawlessly and then my iBook G4 died.

The Intel Mac Mini / Snow Leopard Fail
So, then I decided to get a 2009 Intel Mac Mini, install a solid-state drive and then install Snow Leopard with the Rosetta option so I could run a PowerPC app like Unisyn. The SSD, I reasoned, would allow it to boot faster and last longer (the original spinner was pretty old). In theory it should have all worked like a champ. Well it did and it didn't.

I soon discovered that now large system exclusive dumps were unstable. I'd get error messages in Unisyn that data had been dropped or incomplete messages. I tried different MOTU MIDI Installers hoping one would be stable. No luck. My working theory at this point is that somehow the timing or whatever of these sysex exchanges was not accurate enough when running Unisyn in Rosetta on an Intel processor. I gave up on this for a while...

The $40 G4 Mac Mini
Then the opportunity to test the theory arose. There was a very old 2005 G4 Mac Mini for sale locally via Facebook Marketplace. Seller wanted $60 for just the box and the power supply.. Being the ruthless negotiator I am, I offered $40. Made sense for me... I had a reason for seeking out a Mac this old. I'm sure he was glad it didn't become a doorstop.

So it was preinstalled with Leopard 10.5 and has a 80GB spinning hard drive. That's kinda scary. Who knows how long it will last, but can't run Leopard on an SSD as far as I know so it is what it is.

First issue: I got it home. It already had a user/admin account. It booted up, but I couldn't install the MOTU MIDI software without knowing the password. Called the seller, he didn't know the password. Oh great! I'm thinking what a nightmare! How to make a bootable Leopard installer?? I was about to buy an old Installer DVD from eBay but then I found THIS! The second answer was the one that worked:
  1. Hold command-S on startup.
  2. Run mount -uw / to modify (-u) the status of the root filesystem (/) to make it writable (-w). fsck -fy is not necessary.
  3. Run launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.Apple.DirectoryServices.plist in 10.6 or earlier, or launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.directoryd.plist in 10.7 or later.
  4. Run dscl . -passwd /Users/username password, where username is replaced with the username of the account and password is replaced with the new password.
  5. Run reboot .
Honestly, I was amazed this actually worked. Rebooted and got the sign on screen and entered the password I entered in Step 4 above and I was in! So if you come across a really old Mac at a garage sale and the seller is locked out, you might not need to track down an installer disk. Good to have, for sure. But not necessary. The only weird issue I found is when you subsequently change your user name, the user directory doesn't change. It remains what it was before, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Setting up the G4 Mac Mini for Unisyn
After making sure to connect it to my WiFi network, I ran Software Update and installed all updates. Each time the update was done and the Mac Mini rebooted, I checked again, and had to do this 2-3 times till it was completely "current." I then went to MOTU's site and downloaded the oldest MOTU MIDI Installer I could find which was at the bottom of this page: Version: 1.6.49190 (110806) Release Date: Nov. 10, 2011. I installed that... then installed Unisyn and put in my Keycode. Had to do the usual Audio MIDI Setup and then choosing profiles in Unisyn. Then of course going into the Sharing prefs and enabling File Sharing and Screen Sharing. (Honestly, it's amazing to me that a modern Mac Studio can do this with a Mac that's 19 years old!)

I've set it up to be "headless." I power it up, there's a setting to turn off its checking for a Bluetooth mouse. The Unisyn is a log in item so it launches automatically. So if I turn it on, in a minute or two it appears on the local network and I can start Screen Sharing. It's connected via Ethernet to a switch connected to my Mac Studio. I also have my Avid S3 connected to the switch and it all works fine.

Another Leopard quirk: if you do not have a monitor physically connected to it, when you screen share you do not see a wallpaper. You get a generic blue background even if the wallpaper is set on the Mac. I think this is a Leopard issue. I actually ordered a DVI dummy load on Amazon. If I plug that in the back, I should see my wallpaper and also get some additional resolution choices.

A final odd issue: the little light on the front of my Mac Mini does not go out even when it is fully shut down. I will be looking into that. I even unplugged the power supply and it's still lit up so I'm guessing some capacitor or whatever is causing it to stay lit. I may need to hook up a monitor and keyboard to it to trouble shoot. I think resetting some things might fix that.

The Results?
I'm pleased to report that my theory was true. Sysex dumps are indeed completely stable/reliable on a Mac with a G4 processor. For whatever reason, I could not achieve this with the old Intel Mac Mini emulating Power PC with Rosetta. Who knows why? So for now... I'm good to go. I might try to find a NOS replacement drive for this Mac MIni, or if I'm crazy enough find another cheap G4 Mac Mini and mess with Sorbet Leopard and installing an SSD, but not sure about that.

So that's the state of my dedicated "Unisyn box."

UnisynBox.jpg
UnisynBox.jpg (144.02 KiB) Viewed 378 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Re: Remote controlling G4 MacMini running Unisyn on my Mac Studio

Post by HCMarkus »

Great write-up, James! :smash:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Great!

Yes, there are things that can be done in Terminal when sitting at the machine. Most of this disappeared in later OS. I keep a library of such Command sets.

Changing a User when there is no password is still doable but often involves creating a bootable external drive or using an Apple utility from a second Mac. I've done both and neither are fun.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:56 pm Great!

Yes, there are things that can be done in Terminal when sitting at the machine. Most of this disappeared in later OS. I keep a library of such Command sets.

Changing a User when there is no password is still doable but often involves creating a bootable external drive or using an Apple utility from a second Mac. I've done both and neither are fun.
Yes... I was astounded though at how easy it was. I'm sure security is beefed up since, but that's ridiculously non-secure!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

One interesting little tidbit and some of you might have been down this road before, but even though the system date/time is set correctly on the G4 Mac Mini, Unisyn can't handle the year 2024. Maybe the infamous "Y2K Bug" bites after all these years. So the time is correct, but the date will show the year as 1992. That's a THIRTY-TWO YEAR offset! I about had a heart attack when I did the math! It's been THAT long???

unisyn32yearoffset.jpg
unisyn32yearoffset.jpg (54.46 KiB) Viewed 324 times

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Another update:

Went into studio today and powered on the G4 Mac Mini and got a distorted sounding startup chime followed by 3 beeps. Long story short, apparently this can be caused sometimes by poorly seated RAM. So I opened it up, gave it a good dusting with compressed air, removed the RAM and shot some contact cleaner in the slot and then firmly reseated it, closed it up and I'm good to go. Whew! No only question mark is how long the spinning drive in this sucker will last?

Good news is I received the DVI Dummy Load I mentioned in previous post and was pleased to find that it works just as I hoped! I now see the wallpaper on the G4 Mac Mini over screen sharing and I have a much larger choice of resolutions:

unisyndesktop.jpg
unisyndesktop.jpg (92.28 KiB) Viewed 284 times

It will even do 2560 x 1600, but I found not only does this REALLY slow down the screen refresh when screen sharing (this old Mac only has 10/100 Base-T Ethernet), but with a very old app like this when large screens were not very common, it's a total waste. No reason to have that much resolution. I may even reduce it for better responsiveness when screen sharing.

(Oh yeah... in the pic there's a very, VERY old reel of AMPEX 499 2" tape... LOL... I doubt it will even play back, but I don't have the heart to toss it.)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

only question mark is how long the spinning drive in this sucker will last?
Yea, those take 2.5" IDE/ATA drives. I no longer have G4 Mini (that I know of—used to have four). I'm pretty sure that there's no room for a SATA to IDE/ATA/PATA adapter in there. I have an adapter plus a 128GB SATA III SSD — was going to put them in my G4 tower but my wife threw it out accidentally.

I used to be really good at using a spackle blade to get those apart.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:23 pm
only question mark is how long the spinning drive in this sucker will last?
Yea, those take 2.5" IDE/ATA drives. I no longer have G4 Mini (that I know of—used to have four). I'm pretty sure that there's no room for a SATA to IDE/ATA/PATA adapter in there. I have an adapter plus a 128GB SATA III SSD — was going to put them in my G4 tower but my wife threw it out accidentally.

I used to be really good at using a spackle blade to get those apart.
Yeah... I have a putty knife just for the occasion. :lol: I was in such a hurry I just used a plain old kitchen knife and got it done quickly. It was a relief when it started working and I'm was happy that my theory about connecting a dummy DVI load was correct. This is a Leopard issue apparently. Doesn't happen with OSes earlier and later.

I wonder how hard it is to find 2.5" IDE/ATA drives? I pulled a 320GB out of the 2009 Intel Mac Mini when I installed the SSD and have it in an external enclosure that OWC included with the kit. Are those IDE/ATA or SATA? (I'm lazy... I can go look.) If it uses the same drive, I'm thinking I may want to get old version of Carbon Copy Cloner and clone the internal of the G4 drive to the external. I think back then, the clones were fully bootable. Sounds like a good idea. Should the internal drive every take a dump, I could replace it with the drive from the external and be up and running again.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The G4s were the last Macs that used IDE/ATA/eIDE. Normally, 128GB is the largest they can see, no matter the actual drive size.

SATA was introduced with the G5. SATA III is supposed to be backward compatible (but not always).
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:23 pm The G4s were the last Macs that used IDE/ATA/eIDE. Normally, 128GB is the largest they can see, no matter the actual drive size.

SATA was introduced with the G5. SATA III is supposed to be backward compatible (but not always).
Ahhhh... so much for that idea. So much for swapping the drive in the enclosure into the G4. I'm wondering though... it does SEE the SATA drive in the external enclosure. EveryMac claims on this page that this particular model will support more than 128GB storage, although seriously anything larger than that is a waste. I'm using it for MIDI Sysex files!!! LOL

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 6.14.15 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 6.14.15 PM.png (36.2 KiB) Viewed 244 times

I guess in theory though, if I can't find a new or NOS internal drive for it, I could clone it to the external and then set it up to boot from the external in a pinch. I'm going to give that a shot and see how it goes.

Oh... weird thing... when I have this set up in another room with monitor, keyboard and mouse connected to it, it seems to shut down normally and the light on the front goes out. However, when I have it in my studio, the light stays on. I've tried all sorts of variables. Even though I intended to use it "headless"... I've tried all the following but the light stays on:

• plugging in a mouse and keyboard and then shutting down.

• plugging directly into wall outlet instead of my rack powerstrip.

• Choosing shut down from the Apple menu, but not clicking shut down button on dialog. Then ending screen sharing session so that when it shuts down in 1 minute no active screensharing happening.

• Same as previous, but removing Ethernet cable before it shuts down.

• Removing Ethernet cable and networking/screen sharing over WiFi instead. No difference.

• All of the above scenarios, DVI Dummy load connected to the Mac Mini.

Only thing I have not yet tried is connecting an actual monitor and running extension cable to a different room in case the circuit in the studio has low voltage. But I am stumped. I wonder if being connected to network is causing it but can't imagine that. When I powered it up in a different room it had to love automatically got on my WiFi network and been on the network. It's the strangest damned thing!!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:23 pmATA was introduced with the G5. SATA III is supposed to be backward compatible (but not always).
The G4 can definitely see and write to and from the external 320GB drive I pulled from the Intel Mac Mini. It's in a USB enclosure. Not sure if it can boot over USB, but I did find a PPC version of CCC (version 3.4.7) so I'm going to clone the internal boot drive to the external and then see if I can boot from it. The hope being WHEN this ancient internal drive final bites the bullet, I might be able to boot from the external.

I'm wondering if the last time a startup drive was designated in the OS, and the drive goes bad... it should be possible for me to hold down "Option" at boot and choose the external. Might still be good for me to order the Leopard DVD Installer off of eBay just in case.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

One LAST comment... it really is a BUMMER of the first magnitude that truly reliable sysex isn't happening with the Intel Mac Mini with SSD and Snow Leopard setup. Seriously that would have been the sweet spot. I tried all sorts of things and just couldn't get that to work reliably. I have a feeling it might work if I were using my old MTP/AV but then I couldn't just throw the A/B Switch the change between interfaces. I could do that if I wanted to go back to my Mac Studio also using the MTP/AV but would rather stick to my more modern MIDI Express XT.

ONE possibility I never did check with the Intel/SSD/Snow Leopard Mac Mini was bypassing the USB A/B switch. Yeah... silly of me I know. I could try connecting it directly to the MIDI Express XT and see if there's something about the switch it doesn't like. if so, might be able to find a higher quality switch. Weird.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well I should have just Googled. PowerPC Macs can't boot from USB devices according to CCC. Also says it's not the Apple Partition Map format. So I guess If I want to be able to restore this thing at some point, I'd need to find a new internal drive. Interestingly I know these do have Firewire and I believe I have an old external Firewire enclosure in a closet. Might be interesting to see if I can put a drive in that and have better luck.

wontboot.jpg
wontboot.jpg (454.54 KiB) Viewed 222 times

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

James Steele wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:01 pm Well I should have just Googled. PowerPC Macs can't boot from USB devices according to CCC.
I'm pretty sure I used to do this, but not with a CCC clone, but rather a SuperDuper clone. This is a really interesting adventure James - worthy of a YT series, since I'm sure you have the time! :wink:
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Forgive the steam of consciousness in this thread.

Looks like from what I can read on the net, booting from Firewire external isn't likely to work either.

Seems my best option is to buy a back up internal Ultra ATA/100 2.5 drive and a Leopard Installer DVD off of eBay then backup important files like application installers to a USB stick. Could probably use a USB thumb drive as a Time Machine backup volume? Seems safer anyway than using a spinner. I'm thinking that way if the internal drive takes a dump one day, I open it up, install the new drive. I then boot from the installer CD (holding down C during boot) and format the new internal drive, reinstall Leopard and then reinstall the MOTU stuff and Unisyn and then copy over any important documents, etc and I should be fine.

I really wish MOTU might consider releasing the source code for Unisyn. I know it's really old, but maybe it would be worth it for someone to see if they could modernize it. I guess it's so old it would have to be rewritten from scratch. I know Soundquest is ungodly expensive.