Auto-punch-in click bug, at least a decade old

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Irimi Nage
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Auto-punch-in click bug, at least a decade old

Post by Irimi Nage »

I’ve literally been getting this bug for over a decade, probably closer to 15 years. I can’t be the only one. It’s a real mood killer when I’m trying to power thru getting clean takes.

What’s happening in the video is:

-A track is record armed, set to punch in one bar after hitting play. So I hit play, the record button flashes for four beats, then goes solid. This isn’t a situation where DP’s “count in” is being used (I find DP’s count-in to also be kinda sketchy).

-In the video the way it is set up, we’re supposed to get four clicks (I’m using DP’s internal click) before auto record punches in, then on the downbeat of the next measure we go into record and a clean continuous click plays throughout.

-But what happens is, the click on the downbeat of the bar that is supposed to go into record barfs out an extra flammed click note. The flam is sometimes very tight, less often there is more space between the flam as can be heard here. Neither is conducive to recording like a normal person.

If I proceed with this messed up take, the recorded audio will usually have some kind of artifact. A pop or click or some other kind of mangling. So when I hear the flammed click, I have to stop the take and redo it. It doesn’t always happen so I repeat this process until I get a clean click to record my take on. If I’m composing and I want to get an idea recorded while it’s hot, sometimes I’ll have to repeat this up to 5 times before I get a take with the click behaving. This happens regardless of track count or CPU load, it has happened across the countless computers, Mac OS’s, DP versions or interfaces I’ve used over time. Probably since DP7 or something.

It’s a frustrating waste of time and energy, and really takes a person out of the moment. I hate this. Please help
bayswater

Re: Auto-punch-in click bug, at least a decade old

Post by bayswater »

I can't reproduce this, and can't remember ever having the problem. Is there maybe something going on with the source of the click? I'm using the default audio click in the metronome preferences.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Irimi Nage

Re: Auto-punch-in click bug, at least a decade old

Post by Irimi Nage »

I always use the cowbell because it cuts through any mix but I’ll try it later with a different sound thank you