QuickScribe displays wrong notation

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
foorere
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

QuickScribe displays wrong notation

Post by foorere »

Above is the notation of the selected notes below.
It displays 8-tuplets instead of 32-notes (tied):
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 15.40.38.png
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 15.40.38.png (159.65 KiB) Viewed 222 times
I have shortened the overlapping notes to see if it will display 32-notes, it does, but on the wrong position. It should be 32+8dot+32, within the full beat.
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 15.41.12.png
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 15.41.12.png (79.13 KiB) Viewed 222 times
(I have learned English in 35 days, please have understanding ...)
stubbsonic

Re: QuickScribe displays wrong notation

Post by stubbsonic »

I've used DP's QuickScribe for many years, and I'm pretty familiar with it. Unfortunately, this has been a problem for a long time, where Quickscribe does not interpret rhythms correctly even when they are quantized.

When I'm working with notation, I make two copies of a MIDI track, the first one for playback (that sounds human and musical) and the second one for music notation (that looks the way I want it to look in notation, but will sound stiff and unmusical).

If there is a rhythm that QuickScribe isn't displaying correctly, I might slide notes around until Quickscribe shows it correctly.

If you need to have a little more control over how the notation looks, you can either invest in a more full featured notation program like Finale, or Sibelius, Notion, or Dorico.

There's a freeware program MuseScore that is pretty good...

https://musescore.org/en/download
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
foorere

Post by foorere »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:44 pmUnfortunately, this has been a problem for a long time, where Quickscribe does not interpret rhythms correctly even when they are quantized.
Oh, that's pretty bad... Quite a serious bug, actually. Why it was not fixed for so long?

I just wanted to buy DP, coming from Logic Pro X!

The problem with LPX is that it creates corrupted Music XML files when exported (for instance, creating irregular time signatures, LPX creates fake TS and using blank spaces to fill up measures, which causes great trouble when imported into a notation software). Additionally, it can't interpret irregular tuplets (5:4, 7:8, etc.) from the raw MIDI data. DP can display ┌ 5 ┐ directly from MIDI, whereas LPX can do it only when manually entered into the Score Editor.

But now, if it is a problem – I am hesitating.

What I want from DP (or LPX) is to clean up my improvisations prior to notation. I have quite high demands in cleaning up MIDI before notation. I worked in Finale for more than 20 years, and for the last 4 years I have used Sibelius (for my scores) and MuseScore (for material that needs to be shared). Displaying raw 9-tuplets makes it much easier instead of re-writing them in a notation software.

I do pretty complex notation, as seen below, and everything comes first from the improvisation; then, using beat mapping, I get an approximate picture of what I need to do.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You're right. If you are expecting DP to give you somewhat accurate notation then export to another notation program, that's probably not going to be very reliable.

I'll say that it is rare for me that DP mis-interprets a rhythm. However, when it does, it is kind of a hassle to "trick it" into displaying right.

My workflow is to do all the work on MIDI in DP. As I said, I create two versions of each track, one for playback and one for notation-- even where the notation is not handled by DP. For the latter, I quantize, including durations, then I carefully adjust durations so the note lengths make sense for reading. Then I export MIDI (not XML), and do ALL the notation work within Finale or MuseScore. DP does make the MIDI editing work feel smoother and less tedious than trying to wrestle with it in Finale, etc.

But yea, if you want to get partway there with DP, it's not for you, I think.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

foorere

Post by foorere »

stubbsonic wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:42 pm But yea, if you want to get partway there with DP, it's not for you, I think.
I see an advantage over LPX, it displays all kind of tuplets, and exports XML flawlessly. It can also quantize into more esoteric way (7:8 16ths for instance). That is definitely something important to me.

But I don’t want to export it into Sibelius with wrong notes (as above).

Have you tried to experiment and see in which instances it displays the MIDI data wrongly? Is it when you use the beat mapping? Snap to Relative is "off"? I try to figure out but still can't understand. People from MOTU?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You need to tweak the import/quantization settings in Sibelius to have a decent chance of tuplets importing correctly (triplets are one of many types of tulets).

If you do not have the free Dolet plug-in installed, do so. Dolet 8 is for Sibelius 19.5 and later. Contact MakeMusic Support if your version of Sibelius is earlier.
https://www.musicxml.com/dolet-plugin/d ... ase-notes/

Both Logic and DP export MusicXML 3.0 — this is important to know when importing into Sibelius.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

foorere wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:43 pm I see an advantage over LPX, it displays all kind of tuplets, and exports XML flawlessly. It can also quantize into more esoteric way (7:8 16ths for instance). That is definitely something important to me.

But I don’t want to export it into Sibelius with wrong notes (as above).

Have you tried to experiment and see in which instances it displays the MIDI data wrongly? Is it when you use the beat mapping? Snap to Relative is "off"? I try to figure out but still can't understand. People from MOTU?
I agree that DP's ability to quantize is second to none. Also, it's friendliness to "esoteric" tuplets is a huge advantage. I'm glad to hear that it exports XML flawlessly now. DP's note-respell tool had been broken for a long time, but is now FINALLY fixed and working reliably!

You're right that there probably is some set of conditions that makes it not interpret the rhythm correctly in notation. But it has nothing to do with the grid state, or beat mapping. And the things I've done to make it "correct itself" make me think it is some sloppy programming that just makes a similar mistake every time.

Perhaps you can see how often it interprets wrong, and decide whether the benefits outweigh this problem. I would not count on it ever getting fixed.