How to use the same interface (828es) with two computers?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
nipper2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to use the same interface (828es) with two computers?

Post by nipper2 »

Hello there.
I share a studio room and we're trying to work out a good setup for working.
We have a MOTU 828es racked that we should share to take advantage of the whole system. Of course we're not using it at the same time, it's one-at-a-time use (we share half a day the studio room)
I expected to have both computers connected (one with thunderbolt, and the other with USB) when I purchased the unit, and was hoping that the unit will detect the computer once it's on. This is not happening: The device detects one wire (USB or thunderbolt) and won't change to the other UNLESS YOU DISCONNECT IT FROM THE REAR OF THE UNIT.
I've checked with the MOTU help guys and it seems there's no way that I can switch from USB to Thunderbolt (or vice versa) except plugging/unplugging the device from this back. I can't do that since the unit it's inside a rack and it's not accessible.
It would be as simple as choosing USB or Thunderbolt from the menu if this option was available, but it isn't.

Does anybody have any idea of a workaround that may solve this situation?
Thanks very much in advance
HCMarkus

Re: How to use the same interface (828es) with two computers?

Post by HCMarkus »

Disconnect unused cable at computer?
Clarar
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Clarar »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:09 am Disconnect unused cable at computer?
Why disconnect unused cable at computer?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

was hoping that the unit will detect the computer once it's on
Normally, the computer detects the interface. You have not posted enough info for me to guess why this isn't happening.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Clarar wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:01 am
HCMarkus wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:09 am Disconnect unused cable at computer?
Why disconnect unused cable at computer?
The device detects one wire (USB or thunderbolt) and won't change to the other UNLESS YOU DISCONNECT IT FROM THE REAR OF THE UNIT.
That is why.

If by "UNLESS YOU DISCONNECT IT FROM THE REAR OF THE UNIT" you mean, "Disconnect and re-connect," then never mind.
nipper2

Post by nipper2 »

That is correct.
The MOTU unit is racked, and so is one of the computers (the main one). I cannot have access to the rear unless I move all the furniture.
The second computer is a laptop, and I was expecting that the unit would detect it when using it with the main computer switched off.

This next days I will try to put a quality USB KVM switch in between, but it's a idea that I don't really like.
nipper2

Post by nipper2 »

Right now it is working with an active KVM usb switch (40€), and we even share a MIDI keyboard.
It's not a solution that I like, but at the moment it's making the trick with no problems.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

nipper2 wrote:Right now it is working with an active KVM usb switch (40€), and we even share a MIDI keyboard.
It's not a solution that I like, but at the moment it's making the trick with no problems.
Well congratulations for solving it. Perhaps it’s not optimum, but kudos to you for making it work. At the end of the day that’s what matters.

For other people reading this, might you provide a link to the KVM switch in case somebody else wants to try this? Thanks!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nipper2

Post by nipper2 »

I'm using this: https://www.anytrade.com.au/product/%E3 ... sb-switch/

I still want to see if it works without problem in the next days with different situations and more stress.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2024-04-03 a las 11.45.09.png
Captura de pantalla 2024-04-03 a las 11.45.09.png (288.48 KiB) Viewed 136 times
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks for the info!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nipper2

Post by nipper2 »

Anyways, I'd like to ask MOTU developers to implement a way where we can use both USB and Firewire without unracking the unit. I think it's fair considering the range of this device and the money we spent in it.
Maybe just choosing between them in the menu would be a simple option.
Thanks