Should you use a cleaner? What utilities do you use?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dwilliams
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Should you use a cleaner? What utilities do you use?

Post by dwilliams »

Should I use a "cleaner" program on my MBP? I don't have a problem with hard drive space.

What utilities do you use that you consider essential? I'm using Steer Mouse, Carbon Copy Cloner, Google Drive, Google VPN. and Display Menu. Sometimes Macs Fan Control. Memory Clean 3 is installed but I don't use it.

Thanks.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Re: Should you use a cleaner? What utilities do you use?

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

The only "cleaner" I've used for at least 15 years now is Onyx. It's just a GUI for Terminal commands, and harmless.
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Like the other Mike pointed to, mostly all other cleaners are malware at this point.
BTW Malwarebytes is the only antivirus my Apple employee friends recommend. The free version is good enough.
https://www.malwarebytes.com
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:21 pm The only "cleaner" I've used for at least 15 years now is Onyx. It's just a GUI for Terminal commands, and harmless.

Unless you don't know what you are doing.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:13 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:21 pm The only "cleaner" I've used for at least 15 years now is Onyx. It's just a GUI for Terminal commands, and harmless.

Unless you don't know what you are doing.
True, "Why are all these weird files everywhere after I selected Show hidden files and folders? I deleted them and now nothing works!"
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote: BTW Malwarebytes is the only antivirus my Apple employee friends recommend. The free version is good enough.
https://www.malwarebytes.com
I can vouch for that. I once had to deal with Apple on an issue and that’s the one the support person at Apple recommended to me.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

“Onyx is harmless if you know what you’re doing”.

But does it do anything useful (in the way of cleaning, or releasing space, etc.) that macOS doesn’t already do?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:20 am “Onyx is harmless if you know what you’re doing”.

But does it do anything useful (in the way of cleaning, or releasing space, etc.) that macOS doesn’t already do?
Not really. It can partially Reset Launch Services which might solve a specific problem (Mac doesn't shut down or boot properly; apps take way too long to launch) that I have not seen since Big Sur — but it doesn't do the complete job that the following Terminal Commands do:
1. Open Terminal and run these commands:
2. /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network <Enter or Return key>
3. killall Dock <Enter or Return key>
4. sudo mdutil -E / <Enter or Return key> (enter Admin password when prompted, then <Enter or Return key>)
5. Restart your Mac
Otherwise, people use it to dump system caches and preference files that the macOS uses to make system routines faster. Running any such "cleaner" regularly slows your Mac down as those caches and preference files do need to be rebuilt.

We have discussed a users/(user)/library/preferences cache that should be dumped now and then that directly affects DP. I've discovered another Microsoft file that interferes with Acrobat Pro and should be purged. Then there's the old GuitarRig2, Bresink and Soundflower.kxt problems, CodeMeter runtime and Corel update monitor — any of which could really, really screw up a system (current versions are good). Onyx has no way of finding these problems, let alone fixing them. To be fair, Apple couldn't find the CodeMeter and Corel problems either but did find GuitarRig2, Bresink and Soundflower.kxts.

I download Onyx every few years or so to see if it brings anything to the table. Not for me.