Help with MIDI express XT and 828mk 2

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
cara
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Help with MIDI express XT and 828mk 2

Post by cara »

I have 2 older units:the MIDI Express XT and 828mk2
with the MIDI Express XT I opened the unit and changed the CR 2032 battery, plugged in the unit into power, flip the switch and there is no lights turning on at all. Is there anything else I can do to get this motu unit working again besides changing the battery ?

I have a 828mk 2, I tried to power that on and the wording lights have dimmed to 10%, the analog lights are still strong?what does this mean of this unit?
Attachments
inside motu MIDI express XT
inside motu MIDI express XT
20240315_184758.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 596 times
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Help with MIDI express XT and 828mk 2

Post by CharlzS »

On the XT - maybe try replacing the fuse. On the 828mk2, mine also dimmed later in life. Audio and MIDI still worked fine for a while, but the unit ultimately developed additional problems - alien characters in the display along with lockups. If yours doesn't have additional issues it may last a while.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The screens on both units are backlit by an LED grid fed by its own power supply. To diagnose the XT is easy—shine a flashlight onto the screen at an angle as you power up and if you can see characters, the backlight is the issue. Your 828 is already showing the symptoms but I don’t know if its the LED, PS or both.

If that’s the only problem, might be worth the repair. There are other possibilities including the main power supply capacitors.

Google is your friend. There are many threads here and Gearspace on this, where to find parts and how to diagnose/repair. Don’t limit your search to a specific model as the 828s and older MIDI boxes are pretty much the same in this regard.

I have one of the very last 828mkII units made. Bought it 17 years ago at a Guitar Center close out after the mk3 was announced at NAMM the month before. All others are older. Consider the age before throwing any serious money at either unit but if you can do it for just a few bucks, why not?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cara

Post by cara »

I am not in the US, not sure where I can get parts here at home especially the red and blue power supply at the bottom of the unit?

The other problem is that my current computer only has thunderbolt and USB connectors... I couldn't buy the firewire adapter to thunderbolt through Apple anymore. Ebay prices were tremendously high, almost half the price of one of these units. 2nd hand market was sold out...

Is it worth to check on both legacy machines?
The front of both machines look like this after just plugging into the wall socket.

would these machines work in a newer operating environment?
Attachments
828 mk2 FW
828 mk2 FW
20240315_114306.jpg (1011.9 KiB) Viewed 471 times
MIDI express XT early 2000
MIDI express XT early 2000
20240315_112027.jpg (763.42 KiB) Viewed 471 times
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For the 828, two Apple adapters are required: the FireWire to Thunderbolt and the TB2 to TB3. In addition, you'll need a FW400–800 adapter for the end of your cable or an adapter cable. Although Apple no longer carries the FW–TB adapter, many retail suppliers in the US still have NOS (new, old stock). If you can get it working properly, it will connect and work even over Sonoma to the latest Apple Silicon Macs.

That said, you do have to consider your needs vs the cost and you may be better off with a Fast USB 2 interface that just works.

The MIDI express XT, likewise, is viable if you can get it working. If a flashlight doesn't reveal any activity and the power supply capacitors are not showing obvious signs of problems (look for bulging) or you don't find burnt resistors, cracked solder joints etc., time to go shopping. You can try burnishing all the inner connectors by unplugging and re-plugging three times each—that often works but you never want to depend on it. Have you replaced that fuse? Fuses can look good and break in a place you can't see.

Except for a few proprietary chips, everything can usually be found at any of the big parts suppliers. Mouser is the best known in the States but there are similar suppliers in the UK, EU, Asia and South America.

Unfortunately, MOTU does not publish parts lists or schematics for any of their hardware. Googling and finding sites where others have done this is your only choice. Around here, paying a tech do diagnose the problem costs more than either a new interface or MIDI box.

So it all comes down to your needs. We don't know what they are. How many mic channels? line inputs/outputs? other ins/outs? MIDI ports in total (you have nine with the 828 and express XT)? Do you need SMPTE? and so on...

Where are you in the world?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cara

Post by cara »

Thank you for your lengthy explanation, I really do appreciate your insightful feedback.
I am in Hong Kong. I bought the MOTU MIDI express here in HK and took it too the US and back... I contacted MOTU already for both of my units... yes both units are very old... and MOTU do not offer a replacement program for both units. I have contacted a local music retailer here in Hong Kong that sells pro audio gear and MOTU is not their agent, so they cannot fix these units for me.
I went to the Apple store to find the firewire800 to thunderbolt 2 cable , Apple is no longer selling this cable and carry no back stock in their warehouse... no sign this cable will come back because Apple studio has moved onto Thunderbolt 4 for all of its computer outlets...
I have contacted the MOTU distributor for Hong Kong... called Eastern Edison Technology in Beijing China via email... they have not returned a single email.... not sure if they are working 🤔..
I tried the 2nd hand market like ebay, carousels, Craigslist to find the firewire800 to thunderbolt 2 cable... all sold out . The ones on ebay cost a staggering $900hKd... almost half the price of buying a new unit...
As for the XT I went in again with a torch to see if there are signs of bulging capacitators, blown fuses... and took some pictures... but not sure...
need an opinion... what do you think?🤔 💭
Attachments
125ma slow blow fuse
125ma slow blow fuse
20240320_221829.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 394 times
cara

Post by cara »

what is all this white stuff going on alongside the MIDI ins and outs? is my unit disintegrating?
Attachments
white stuff alongside the MIDI in and outs
white stuff alongside the MIDI in and outs
Screenshot_20240320_222925_Gallery.jpg (181.4 KiB) Viewed 391 times
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Those are resistors and do not look burned. It’s not unusual for a fuse to break in the end cap where you can’t see it. If you have a Volt Ohm Meter, you can check continuity—otherwise, replace it.

Many places still have the Apple FW–TB adapter but I do not know about shipping to Hong Kong.
cara

Post by cara »

the Apple US website doesn't carry the FW to TB2 anymore... Apple HK is out of stock. Apple doesn't ship over from country to country... because all the Apple stores around the world is selling the same products.

Seems like I need to buy the 125Ma Slow blow fuse 1/8 amp. Does it need to be a specific model of fuse?

The other problem is that I don't have the tools to attach the new fuse... or find an electrician that is willing to help me...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cara wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:47 am the Apple US website doesn't carry the FW to TB2 anymore...
I posted that a couple days ago. Many other companies do but I have no idea who ships to HK.