Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
hammerman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

Post by hammerman »

Sonoma 14.4.1 just came out and it didn't fix the problem for me.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

:banghead:
hammerman wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:24 am Sonoma 14.4.1 just came out and it didn't fix the problem for me.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

hammerman wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:24 am Sonoma 14.4.1 just came out and it didn't fix the problem for me.
Same here. I wonder what 14.4.1 is supposed to fix?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Some info here, but not much:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/109035
macOS Sonoma 14.4.1
This update provides bug fixes for your Mac, including:
USB hubs connected to external displays may not be recognized
Copy protected Audio Unit plug-ins designed for professional music apps may not open or pass validation
Apps that include Java may quit unexpectedly
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

The ball is in whose court?

Apple? Native Instruments? MOTU?

Everything was fine until that 14.4 update...
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
chrisdm1978

Post by chrisdm1978 »

14.4.1 did fix my issues in Logic. (ilok issues I believe) Guitar rig pro 7 now seems to work in DP which would crash the computer like Kontakt 7. But Kontakt 7 still immediately crashes my m3 max if you open an instance in DP.

Chris.
16 inch MacBook Pro, M3 Max, 64GB, 4TB.

http://www.chrismcintyre.ca
chrisdm1978

Post by chrisdm1978 »

Further testing...14.4.1 . I take back what I said about guitar rig pro 7 working in DP...I get the same crash as Kontakt 7 still. So Kontakt 7 and Guitar Rig Pro 7 seem to be the only issues I'm having on my system so far. Something with NI, DP, Apple OS......

chrisdm1978

Post by chrisdm1978 »

further testing 14.4.1....Kontakt 7 works fine in logic, no crashes, can load and play sounds. It's a DP NI thing in my case.

Chris.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

chrisdm1978 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:38 pm further testing 14.4.1....Kontakt 7 works fine in logic, no crashes, can load and play sounds. It's a DP NI thing in my case.
I guess, technically, it may be a DP, NI, M2/M3 chip thing. Not having this issue on M1 AFAIK.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

In an NI technical debt thing, Kontakt 7 is not Sonoma compatible. They admit it, and they say a fix is soon.
I'm on an M2 Studio and I only experience issues with Kontat 7 if I put it on a second monitor it hard crashes in DP, and in standalone it makes the monitor flicker.

Form NI directly:
Even so, I want to recognize that it’s taken longer than many of you expected. We’re working to ensure that when new operating system updates are released in the future, we’ll deliver compatibility updates faster. We’ll (finally) introduce fully Sonoma-compatible versions of Kontakt and Maschine – two of our most complex products – later this month.
https://community.native-instruments.co ... ct-officer
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:18 pm In an NI technical debt thing, Kontakt 7 is not Sonoma compatible. They admit it, and they say a fix is soon.
I'm on an M2 Studio and I only experience issues with Kontat 7 if I put it on a second monitor it hard crashes in DP, and in standalone it makes the monitor flicker.
You know, the weird thing is that Chris says he doesn't have a problem with it in Logic. Reminds me of the issue I'm suffering through right now with Sonoma, DP and Console 1. (Sluggish GUI unless all windows except TO are closed). MOTU says it's a graphic bug in Sonoma, yet Pro Tools, Cubase, and Logic don't have any such issue. Of the three I was very interested in if Cubase had issues since Cubase uses VST3 and to get the full functionality out of Console 1 in DP you also have to use VST3.

Anyway... problem was that if this is a Sonoma bug, it seems to be only "biting" DP. That kind of concerns me. I'm not a programmer, but my mind was recklessly speculating that perhaps something about how DP does graphics is part or the problem. I know DP, via themes, is still heavily reliant on bitmapped graphics and if you did down inside the application bundle you can find the graphics and edit them (thus theme customization). I know many DAWs are moving away from using bitmapped graphics and using vector graphics instead. Maybe that's a factor? I don't know. Guessing here.

I also recall instances where Intel AUs that would work fine in Logic (running natively) would cause problems in DP (also running natively) and you need to run them in PatchWord, or as a last resort, launch DP in Rosetta mode. There's also the odd plugin here or there that will open with a blank GUI in DP but (I think) sometimes work in Logic, for example.

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:48 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:18 pm In an NI technical debt thing, Kontakt 7 is not Sonoma compatible. They admit it, and they say a fix is soon.
You know, the weird thing is that Chris says he doesn't have a problem with it in Logic. Reminds me of the issue I'm suffering through right now with Sonoma, DP and Console 1. (Sluggish GUI unless all windows except TO are closed). MOTU says it's a graphic bug in Sonoma, yet Pro Tools, Cubase, and Logic don't have any such issue. Of the three I was very interested in if Cubase had issues since Cubase uses VST3 and to get the full functionality out of Console 1 in DP you also have to use VST3.

Anyway... problem was that if this is a Sonoma bug, it seems to be only "biting" DP. That kind of concerns me. I'm not a programmer, but my mind was recklessly speculating that perhaps something about how DP does graphics is part or the problem. I know DP, via themes, is still heavily reliant on bitmapped graphics and if you did down inside the application bundle you can find the graphics and edit them (thus theme customization). I know many DAWs are moving away from using bitmapped graphics and using vector graphics instead. Maybe that's a factor? I don't know. Guessing here.

I also recall instances where Intel AUs that would work fine in Logic (running natively) would cause problems in DP (also running natively) and you need to run them in PatchWord, or as a last resort, launch DP in Rosetta mode. There's also the odd plugin here or there that will open with a blank GUI in DP but (I think) sometimes work in Logic, for example.
I would chalk this up to a couple things. First off all DAWs host plugins differently, they didn't get to take each others code etc. so every one has some issues with some plugin or another. This recent issue of iLok plugins not showing up at all was way worse for Logic than any other DAW, I actually don't know of anyone on DP that had the issue? That was specifically a Sonoma issue, as evidenced by the USB and mentioned "copy protection issues with audio software" 14.4.1 update. So in that case anyway Logic was far worse affected by Sonoma incompatibility.

Secondly I'm going to lay all of this on NI, they're a great company, that holds on to technical debt like no other. Every single transition by Apple or the industry in general they have lagged behind everyone on, from OS 9 to OS X, PPC to Intel, 32 to 64 bit, resizable GUI's, MPE, Apple Silicon etc. etc. They simply always come in last, or near last. They're simply too big to not move glacially, and it's a real PITA because when their products do work, we all love them.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Weird that it works in Logic but not in DP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

FWIW, I just tested in Logic again and got the crash.
M2 Mac Studio, latest version of Logic and Mac OS 14.4.1
All is well
chrisdm1978

Post by chrisdm1978 »

I haven't tested Logic a ton, I just know I can get Kontakt 7 and Guitar Rig Pro 7 to launch and make sound, where as in DP they crash immediately. I've got a client coming in who started their project in Logic. I'll try some NI in the project and see how it goes. But it is weird they don't crash right off the bat. Logic did have way more issues with Sonoma 14.4, but now it seems fixed for me, all plugins show up and appear to work, at least in my case. DP was not affected in my case by the ilok thing, but only the NI issue. Weird that Kontakt 6 still works lol. There seems to be something different with the newer NI products....

Chris.