Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

Post by James Steele »

Well I'm about to find out...

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 6.35.13 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 6.35.13 AM.png (135.45 KiB) Viewed 146 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay... well... honestly everything is pretty much the same for me after installed 14.5 Public Beta. Everything that was working seems to work so far. What was broken still seems broken.

As far as the Steiinberg stuff crashing… that’s still happening.

Also, my Console 1 problem with the On Screen Display app is still going on. 14.5 Beta had no effect. Yeah… if this is something Apple needs to fix than some of us Console 1 users are really screwed. I’ve already setup a Keyboard Maestro macro when I hit F14 it opens the Console 1 OSD app, then checks to see if the Mixing Board and Sequence Editor are open. If they are it closes them. Hit F14 again, it closes Console 1 OSD and then reopens the Mixing Board and Sequence Editor. Yeah… it’s a pretty lame workaround for a lame situation. This is what I have to do now.

As far as the Kontakt issues, I wasn't experiencing them before so it may still be some sort of M2/M3 thing, and since I'm on M1 I wouldn't be able to tell if 14.5 did anything or not. Sigh...

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Understanding that recent Mac purchasers may have no choice but Sonoma, the current angst reminds me the "lag one version of macOS" strategy is still good one whoever possible.

Current issues has me making sure to hang onto K6, too, although K7 is working fine for me.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:16 am Understanding that recent Mac purchasers may have no choice but Sonoma, the current angst reminds me the "lag one version of macOS" strategy is still good one whoever possible.

Current issues has me making sure to hang onto K6, too, although K7 is working fine for me.
Yeah, if I were in your situation where you're dealing with clients and paying gigs, I would not have gone to Sonoma. I remember the reason I did, as I recall was to try to solve an issue that may have popped up near the end of Ventura. The reason I have been adventurous like this is that I had the luxury of not having any important projects at the moment, and I've been able to be in contact with a few developers and sort of suffer a bit so I can help smooth the road for my fellow travelers that will come after me. :)

That said, if I were doing a serious project I could get by by just avoiding the few plugins that are causing headaches. Right now it's the Steinberg stuff and some of the Softube plugs. So it's not nearly as catastrophic as it might seem to some. Avid Control and S3 are working just fine. No bugs there, just a desire for MOTU to improve EUCON implementation as it's sorely lacking compared to the other Mac does that DO support it.

I am very concerned however about how DP seems to be sort of building up a whole bunch of cumulative small issues. It's like a death of thousand little cuts. There's a point at which they really need to hire more people on to address a lot of these pesky little bugs that have persisted for a long time. When you look at Steinberg/Yamaha, Avid, and Apple it's obvious that all of those companies MUST have deeper pockets than MOTU... so I worry that they lack the resources to address all these things. I have been heartened by the increased pace of releases... I hope that continues. Honestly, I'm so passionate about DP I'd start a damned GoFundMe to hire more developers if that's what the need. I'm still annoyed for example that their hardware inserts are flakey. It little things like that... the small build up of minor annoyances that just get to me after a while.

Anyway... I'm just hoping at some point between Steinberg, NI, MOTU, Softube... etc... things get worked out and I one day hit another "sweet spot" and can then stand pat like you and say "Okay... I'm done for a while. Sticking with this for the time being."

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:16 am Understanding that recent Mac purchasers may have no choice but Sonoma, the current angst reminds me the "lag one version of macOS" strategy is still good one whoever possible.

Yeah it's been years since an OS had so many bugs and security changes that affect applications that it was a mess to upgrade. I found a new bug in 14.4.1 with browsers built in to applications, the column view is blank until you change it to another view and then back.

The other issue in Sonoma is plugin compatibility, certain mostly complex plugins are spiking the CPU. So you get 98% of the plugins you use hardly touching the CPUs in the M2 etc. and that last 2% using one third to three quarters of it, of course the Kontakt 7 issues are still there. :smash:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
randps

Re: Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt

Post by randps »

So frustrating! Everything was working perfectly for me (DP/Kontakt7/M3 MacBook Pro) until I installed the OSX 14.4 security update. Now crashes every time and I can’t work on my projects - two weeks lost - and no fix in sight. I have learned my lesson. NEVER upgrade OSX until MOTU and NI confirm it is compatible. I’m begging Apple - please work with music software companies and fix this problem so we can get back to work….🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Michael Stewart

Post by Michael Stewart »

It appears that Sonoma update 14.5 BETA may have fixed the Kontakt crashing issue. I am doing testing now and it appears to be stable.

M2 Pro Mac mini
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Stewart wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:14 pm It appears that Sonoma update 14.5 BETA may have fixed the Kontakt crashing issue. I am doing testing now and it appears to be stable.

M2 Pro Mac mini
That is good to see. Even though I maintain my developer credential, I’ve no idea why. I just do not have the time to deal with Apple beta ware—rather work around the problems I know than look for new ones. Now that the WWDC is a virtual event, there’s little point anymore.

Although I understand that some see this as the worst macOS in history or (fill in the blank…), I still remember Core Audio over USB being disabled for Mojave 10.14.0–.3 on Macs with T1/T2 controllers — that was far worse, IMO. MOTU Audio/MIDI drivers were unaffected so we didn’t get much into it around here.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
Michael Stewart wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:14 pm It appears that Sonoma update 14.5 BETA may have fixed the Kontakt crashing issue. I am doing testing now and it appears to be stable.

M2 Pro Mac mini
That is good to see. Even though I maintain my developer credential, I’ve no idea why. I just do not have the time to deal with Apple beta ware—rather work around the problems I know than look for new ones.
The good thing is you don’t need your developer credential for this one. It’s a public beta so all you have to do is go in and change the setting to show public betas. :)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:50 pm
mikehalloran wrote:

M2 Pro Mac mini
That is good to see. Even though I maintain my developer credential, I’ve no idea why. I just do not have the time to deal with Apple beta ware—rather work around the problems I know than look for new ones.
The good thing is you don’t need your developer credential for this one. It’s a public beta so all you have to do is go in and change the setting to show public betas. :)
My apologies for not making it clear that I could have looked at 14.5 upon release and chose not to. For a retired person, I've never been busier.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh no worries... I thought you mean it was a developer beta not a public beta. I normally would never install a beta OS, but I was desperate to try to solve my Console 1 GUI issues. Other than that, Sonoma 14.5 public beta has been pretty stable over here and I'm encouraged about the other issues because I received a response from MOTU that they may have figured out the issue with the Softube plugs and Sonoma and sounds like a fix is forthcoming. :)

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

M2 Pro Mac mini
Dammit now I'm going to have to bite the bullet, this bug drives me nuts. I use a good amount of Kontakt instances. :smash:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well if you're already on Sonoma then it's sort of like you don't have that much to lose. If I were safe and sound on Ventura, I wouldn't have done it myself. But I can tell you that Kontakt has been working okay for me, but again, I suspect it was something to do with me being on M1... so I was fine with Kontakt before the 14.5 beta.

waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

I couldn't resist...
Installed public beta 14.5 and by gum, the Kontakt 7 crash seems to be fixed.
So far it doesn't seem like anything else is broken.
Fun to be on the bleeding edge. :wink:
All is well
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

14.5 Public Beta has been working pretty well for me!