Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
hammerman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sonoma 14.4 crash/kernel panic/reboot with Kontakt 7

Post by hammerman »

A bit more testing...

I can create and open a new instance of Kontakt with nothing in it and I have no problems. As soon as I load anything, including Factory Library, freeze, crash, reboot.

If I run in Rosetta Mode, I seem to have no problems.

Standalone Kontakt in Apple Silicon works just fine.

Mike, I do not want to wipe my whole drive to get back to 14.3. I wish I could selectively roll back to 14.3 without touching any other files outside the System and Library folders so I will stay where I am and work in Rosetta for the meantime.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

I experienced a similar crash after updated to Sonoma 14.4. I acted impuslively when updating the Mac Studio's OS. Ugh! :banghead:

Interestingly Kontakt 6 seems to work just fine.

Also, since updating the freakin' OS, Logic Pro doesn't like many of VSL's IVs (including Vienna Instruments Pro and Vienna Piano), and plug-ins.

Work around for both. . . loading VEPro 7 with the VIs that are currently problematic (if it's worth the extra effort).

Luckily, I'm not in the middle of any sequencing project.
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

hammerman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:32 am A bit more testing...

I can create and open a new instance of Kontakt with nothing in it and I have no problems. As soon as I load anything, including Factory Library, freeze, crash, reboot.
I thought the same — turned out hat I didn’t wait long enough.
If I run in Rosetta Mode, I seem to have no problems.
Hmmmm….
Standalone Kontakt in Apple Silicon works just fine.
Yep
I do not want to wipe my whole drive to get back to 14.3. I wish I could selectively roll back to 14.3 without touching any other files outside the System and Library folders …
Same here. I’ve also let Tim Cook know how I feel about that one.
zuul-studios wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:08 am …Interestingly Kontakt 6 seems to work just fine.
There’s an idea. Some of my libraries are not advertised as working in Kontakt 6 but I do have it.

BTW, users who do not have a license for K6 cannot buy one from NI anymore. Not usually a Mac issue but Win users trying to use it in apps that still do not support VST3 (Finale, BIAB etc.) are having a rough go over this. The free K6 Player is available for download still but NI Support is telling people to shop for a used license if they need the full version of Kontakt 6.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Matt from MOTU got back to me this morning and I am sending him a link to this thread.

He wondered if I had tried a new blank project. Old project, new project from DP template, new project from scratch... I'm careful to change all plug-ins to None before adding Kontakt. Stereo, Mono, 5.1 Surround etc. None of that matters. Sometimes it lets me add an instrument but most of the time it does not before my cursor freezes and the Mac crashes.

I've sent in a crash report with the DP 32 MIDI Template and all plug-ins removed before Saving and adding an instance of Kontakt 7.1.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:10 am Matt from MOTU got back to me this morning and I am sending him a link to this thread.

He wondered if I had tried a new blank project. Old project, new project from DP template, new project from scratch... I'm careful to change all plug-ins to None before adding Kontakt. Stereo, Mono, 5.1 Surround etc. None of that matters. Sometimes it lets me add an instrument but most of the time it does not before my cursor freezes and the Mac crashes.

I've sent in a crash report with the DP 32 MIDI Template and all plug-ins removed before Saving and adding an instance of Kontakt 7.1.
Thanks Mike!

I already created a New Project and loaded an instance of Kontakt 7 and it's fine until I load something INTO Kontakt 7. Then it begins.... or ends...
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

From iLok:

"We’ve identified an issue where some PACE-protected Audio Units plugins crash on startup with macOS Sonoma 14.4, when running on M2 or M3 hardware under the ARM architecture.

Apple is aware of this issue, and their fix is expected in an upcoming macOS point release, but they have not indicated a timeline.

Until then, we recommend:

- Avoiding macOS 14.4: If you haven’t upgraded, consider waiting.
- Downgrading: If you’ve already upgraded, you may want to revert to a previous macOS version if possible.
- Running your DAW under Rosetta: For those already on macOS 14.4, running your DAW under Rosetta might help if the plugin is a Universal binary.

We will continue to monitor the situation closely and update here if there are any changes."

Again, I'm having a Kontakt use that does not use iLok but 14.4 screwed up a lot of AU stuff methinks.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I already created a New Project and loaded an instance of Kontakt 7 and it's fine until I load something INTO Kontakt 7. Then it begins.... or ends...
At first, I thought it could work in a new project. Turns out that I hadn't waited long enough for it to crash but it would eventually. DP 11.3 is no different (forgot I still had that installed).

Then I opened 11.31 in Rosetta 2, added my instance of K-7.8.1 and it allowed me to select an instrument and Save (good grief, that's a slow process!).

I quit DP and deselected Rosetta 2 in Get Info. Now I can re-open my project and it works plus I can add additional instances of Kontakt 7.

Victory? No. Workaround? So far so good.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

hammerman wrote:From iLok:

"We’ve identified an issue where some PACE-protected Audio Units plugins crash on startup with macOS Sonoma 14.4, when running on M2 or M3 hardware under the ARM architecture.
Ahhhh. This is very interesting. Seems to confirm the evidence that M1 Macs like mine seem unaffected.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
chrisdm1978

Post by chrisdm1978 »

I’m having the same issue on a brand new M3 max, as I’m trying to get it up and running in the studio, so I can move the m1max on to a friend who has purchased it. Guitar Rig Pro 7 also causes the same hard crash causing a restart. All my other ilok stuff works fine, NI isn’t even ilok…NI stuff works fine in standalone…but not in DP. Have not tested logic yet….I hope they fix this one quickly. Hard to say who needs to fix stuff, Apple, MOTU or NI lol. M3 max shipped with 14.3… I had researched if all software was 14.xx ready…so it looked safe enough based on my software. I thought nothing of a. .x update…and did it before I migrated all my stuff from the m1max….bad decision. I suspect this will have to get fixed quickly, or a lot of people will be complaining….

Chris.
16 inch MacBook Pro, M3 Max, 64GB, 4TB.

http://www.chrismcintyre.ca
MisterT
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MisterT »

Just for the sake of corroboration: no problem running Kontakt 7 (latest) here on my M1 computers (Mac Studio and MacBook Air).
Mac Studio M1 Max, 32/500, MacOS 14.4, Macbook Air 16/1TB, MacOS 14.4, Digital Performer 11.31, Universal Audio Apollo x16, x8p, Satellite TB3 Octo, and Apollo Twin Quad
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

chrisdm1978 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:18 pm I’m having the same issue on a brand new M3 max, as I’m trying to get it up and running in the studio, so I can move the m1max on to a friend who has purchased it. Guitar Rig Pro 7 also causes the same hard crash causing a restart. All my other ilok stuff works fine, NI isn’t even ilok…NI stuff works fine in standalone…but not in DP. Have not tested logic yet….I hope they fix this one quickly. Hard to say who needs to fix stuff, Apple, MOTU or NI lol. M3 max shipped with 14.3… I had researched if all software was 14.xx ready…so it looked safe enough based on my software. I thought nothing of a. .x update…and did it before I migrated all my stuff from the m1max….bad decision. I suspect this will have to get fixed quickly, or a lot of people will be complaining….

Chris.
Try the workaround that I have already posted: Open DP over Rosetta 2, add an instance of Kontakt 7. Save and Quit. Change DP to running Native. Reopen and see if you still have a problem.

This is working for me until there's a fix.
chrisdm1978

Post by chrisdm1978 »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:56 am
chrisdm1978 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:18 pm I’m having the same issue on a brand new M3 max, as I’m trying to get it up and running in the studio, so I can move the m1max on to a friend who has purchased it. Guitar Rig Pro 7 also causes the same hard crash causing a restart. All my other ilok stuff works fine, NI isn’t even ilok…NI stuff works fine in standalone…but not in DP. Have not tested logic yet….I hope they fix this one quickly. Hard to say who needs to fix stuff, Apple, MOTU or NI lol. M3 max shipped with 14.3… I had researched if all software was 14.xx ready…so it looked safe enough based on my software. I thought nothing of a. .x update…and did it before I migrated all my stuff from the m1max….bad decision. I suspect this will have to get fixed quickly, or a lot of people will be complaining….

Chris.
Try the workaround that I have already posted: Open DP over Rosetta 2, add an instance of Kontakt 7. Save and Quit. Change DP to running Native. Reopen and see if you still have a problem.

This is working for me until there's a fix.
Hey Mike,
Tried your workaround. Kontakt 7 does open in rosetta (slowly lol). However when I switch back to native and open that saved DP file with a Kontakt 7 instance added, I get the crash right away again on M3max. I suspect guitar rig 7 pro will do the same. I think it's an NI issue. All my ilok stuff works. Kontakt 6 word fine with all my libraries...but the newer NI products don't. I think it's an NI bug...or NI DP interaction bug, as these newer NI products do work in standalone mode...This bug being more specific to m3, maybe m2.

chrisdm1978

Post by chrisdm1978 »

Further testing. Tried Kontakt 7 and guitar rig pro in Logic. Both work fine, but many other plugs are broke ( I suspect the ilok issue). On the whole more is broke in Logic. But this NI DP bug seems specific to DP. One other thing, I migrated my account from my m1max to the m3max machine. Not sure that would matter, especially since others are reporting same crash. But figured I'd mention it. I guess a guy gets by running Kontakt 6 and other amp sims I own til this gets resolved. Only 3 things broken seem to be Kontakt 7, Guitar rig pro 7, and an old version of Izotope IRIS 2 that won't activate via ilok, or any method.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I haven't tried Iris 2 in a few years so I tried this morning. Opens in Demo mode but will not authorize. I even tried Offline (challenge/response). Nothing.

According to this, Big Sur was the last supported macOS and it opens over Rosetta 2 only. In the Get Info, if an app requires Rosetta 2, there is no option to select/deselect.

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/ar ... s-on-macOS

This is too bad. Every once in awhile, Iris was a way cool app.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

chrisdm1978 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:57 pm Further testing. Tried Kontakt 7 and guitar rig pro in Logic. Both work fine, but many other plugs are broke ( I suspect the ilok issue). On the whole more is broke in Logic. But this NI DP bug seems specific to DP.
I have the kernel panic situation with DP and Kontakt 7 on an M2 Mac Studio. I just tested Kontakt 7 on Logic and I can load an instrument and play it for a minute or two and then the whole computer crashes.
So at least in my case, the crash also happens in Logic, just in a different way.
All is well