Latest macOS update killed drivers?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
miles_b
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Latest macOS update killed drivers?

Post by miles_b »

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help, as it's been about a week since the last time MOTU support responded to me on this issue. I have an 828es, and a Monitor 8, talking to each other through a MOTU AVB Switch. I did a recording session with this setup that worked just fine. I had the 828es connected to my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX via a Sonnet Echo 11 thunderbolt dock, and I was able to record 8 channels simultaneously into Logic Pro X, while streaming four headphone mixes. This was on macOS Sonoma 14.3.0. Then I updated to macOS 14.3.1, and now the MOTU Discovery app only shows the AVB connections, but doesn't show any locally connected devices. The 828es shows up on the Thunderbolt bus in System Info, but doesn't show up as an audio device in Audio MIDI Setup, or in the Sound pane of System Preferences.

Here's some of the troubleshooting I've tried so far:
-I tried connecting the 828es directly to the computer via Thunderbolt, but that didn't change anything.
-I tried connecting the 828es via USB, and it still didn't show up in MOTU Discovery, but it did show up as a generic 24-in/24-out USB class-compliant audio device with the name "Audio Out" in Audio MIDI Setup, and "Audio Out" also appeared in System Preferences.
-I tried connecting the Monitor 8 via USB, and it did exactly the same thing as the 828es.
-I've done multiple power-cycles and reboots of everything in the system.
-I reset the 828es to factory defaults.
-I verified that all devices have the latest firmware.
-I downloaded a fresh copy of the MOTU software and reinstalled it.
-I searched various discussions on this forum for related issues, and followed instructions I found for manually removing the drivers and reinstalling. The thread in question was from 2020, and the drivers have actually since moved in newer updates. I had to use a terminal command to search for them.
-I also found instructions for some terminal command you have to run from Recovery Mode to add a security exception for MOTU's developer group
-I verified with MOTU support that all of the expected processes are running in Activity Monitor.

As far as I can tell, it looks like I've run into a compatibility issue between the MOTU drivers and this latest macOS update. But so far, I'm not seeing other people reporting similar issues. Please let me know if you have any further troubleshooting advice on this.

Edit: I just pulled an old Intel-based MacBook Pro running macOS Ventura out of storage, installed the MOTU software on it, and it's working fine with the 828es via the original setup I was using, including the thunderbolt dock. At this point, the issue is definitely isolated to software on the M1/Sonoma MBP.
mikehalloran

Re: Latest macOS update killed drivers?

Post by mikehalloran »

There are some issues with Sonoma 14.4. I have not seen this one but I am using a different driver.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Permissions issues? to let the drivers load - and allow the MOTU apps to run in the background.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mothra

Post by mothra »

828x/old driver still working fine in 14.4.. In fact all weekend, my MOTU actually connected every time I turned it on without having to replug it 4-5 times, hopefully that wasn't just luck.. :lol:
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The 828x, like my 828mkII uses a different driver, the MOTU Audio Installer, than the 828es which uses the MOTU Pro Audio Installer.

Have you tried re-downloading and reinstalling it? That's quick, easy and sometimes works.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 11.17.28 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 11.17.28 AM.png (24.56 KiB) Viewed 338 times
It works over Sonoma but you may have to follow these directions first—even though MOTU says you shouldn't have to if it's been installed before.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... igh-sierra
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
miles_b

Post by miles_b »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:20 am The 828x, like my 828mkII uses a different driver, the MOTU Audio Installer, than the 828es which uses the MOTU Pro Audio Installer.

Have you tried re-downloading and reinstalling it? That's quick, easy and sometimes works.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 11.17.28 AM.png

It works over Sonoma but you may have to follow these directions first—even though MOTU says you shouldn't have to if it's been installed before.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... igh-sierra
Yes, I tried re-downloading and re-installing it. Since my original post, I verified that the 828es still works on an older MacBook Pro that's running macOS Ventura, and my newer macOS Sonoma machine works with an Apogee interface over Thunderbolt. However, the 828es and Monitor 8 are still not recognized in MOTU Discovery over either Thunderbolt or USB on the Sonoma machine, but both communicate over Ethernet just fine. I have tried every trick that I've found so far. The last time MOTU support responded was weeks ago. The 14.3.1 update seems to be what killed it, and it's still dead under 14.4.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'd ask for a callback to see if they can talk you through it. I had to remove some conflicting extensions left over from old drivers before it worked properly for me.