Go Big or Go Home?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Go Big or Go Home?

Post by HCMarkus »

I decided to do both at my studio.
IMG_0605.jpeg
IMG_0605.jpeg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 936 times
Took the 40" 4k TV off my desk and put a 75" one on a stand, in line with my monitors. So far, so good! I've got a slightly bigger field of view, and it just feels great. No more display interfering with speaker dispersion, and moving the cursor around with my mouse feels different, more substantial, in a really good way.

I picked up the relatively inexpensive ($650) Hisense display just before Super Bowl Sunday; price went up $100 after the bowl. It is an https://www.rtings.com recommended "budget" display. I don't do video or photo color correction as part of my work, so I don't need the most accurate display.

But the thing that made this possible is this very cool $100 stand made by VIVO:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TFXO4Q4?re ... tails&th=1

It will take TVs up to 83" (and probably a little bigger as long as weight is under 110 lbs. and VESA pattern is compatible.) Setup was straightforward, and all the parts fits really well. The stand feels solid, and the wheels allow it to be moved easily. I placed the TV pretty low, so I'm not looking up all the time, but it can be raised higher than I'd ever need to demo film and score to clients or friends in the studio on a pretty grand scale. The way it is set up, I have to stand to look into the tracking space, but since I do the vast majority of my work in the control room and iso booth, this is not an issue I'm going to lose sleep over.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this with y'all. $816 out the door feels like money well-spent. I have enough compressor plugins, string libraries and piano VIs already.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stubbsonic

Re: Go Big or Go Home?

Post by stubbsonic »

Wow that looks amazing! Seems great to be able focus on things that aren't quite so up in one's grill-- i.e., further away but bigger. I can only imagine how much that takes the strain off the eyes.

I just want some glasses that will make my laptop feel like THAT!!

"People who say 'go big or go home' underestimate how much I want to go home." a meme of unknown origin
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Wow the studio looks GREAT! I couldn't keep a chair like the one on the left in my control room, I'd be in it all the time instead of working :lol:
HCMarkus wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:27 am
But the thing that made this possible is this very cool $100 stand made by VIVO:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TFXO4Q4?re ... tails&th=1

I wanted to thank you for posting this link! I have a 75 inch screen as well. Mine is a TCL Roku, but virtually the same thing as your Hisense. For a few years I've had it on a stand that is strong enough, but unfortunately has no tilt function. Because the screen is 8 feet away from me, I have to prop up the back wheels with a couple thin boards to get it at the right angle. This solves my problem with the +/- 15 degree tilt. I ordered it immediately and it will be here tomorrow (gotta love Amazon).

This is especially good timing for me because I'm about to mix 2 albums in Dolby Atmos, and I need more placement options for that pesky center speaker.

Beautiful Studio HC!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Go Big or Go Home?

Post by James Steele »

That looks great! I'm seriously considering doing the same thing in my studio as my 43" 4K Samsung being forward I'm sure is deflecting some sound from my midfields and even nearfields. I'm now thinking of moving my 65" 4K Samsung TV from my living room into the studio and mounting on the stand you mentioned and moving it about 2-3' further away. I'll then move my 50" 4K TV to the living room from my bedroom, and put this 43" 4K TV in the bedroom. Do a little shuffle. Living room TV won't be quite so big, but I'll live! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

WHOA niiiice !!!!!
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Looks impressive Brother Sir Markus.

Well-done mate. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Very nice! I discovered VESA mounts recently and will never go back to stands.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks for the kinds words, folks.

Whodathunk, back in 1984* when we worked with the first Mac's 9" grayscale CRT 512 × 342 pixel resolution display, we'd be at this point in affordable tech?

*if you were then alive
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Awesomeness.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:57 pm Thanks for the kinds words, folks.

Whodathunk, back in 1984* when we worked with the first Mac's 9" grayscale CRT 512 × 342 pixel resolution display, we'd be at this point in affordable tech?

*if you were then alive
Uh... although the Apple 1 supported color, to my knowledge, the first greyscale display was the Mac IIcx in 1989. There were DIY hacks that could get the Plus and SE to display 16 colors with aftermarket CRTs. Likewise, color and greyscale printing were around but the early Mac CRTs could not display these. I had special color and greyscale ribbon cartridges for my ImageWriter II.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah, I guess the early Macs like the Plus and SE technically had monochrome monitors: you and black or white?

On the subject of greyscale, back in the 90s, I would still occasionally set my Mac to greyscale rather than color to give my eyes a break. Later as DP got more complex, color seemed mandatory.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:02 amthe first greyscale display was the Mac IIcx in 1989.
I guess we've come just a little bit further than I thought, then! :lol:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well... I tried this for myself a few days ago. I have a 65" Samsung 4K TV in my living room. Before I ordered the stand I figured I better test things. Unhooked and took away my 43" Samsung 4K that was on my desk and set my 65" 4K TV on a folding table out further away and came to a couple of conclusions:

1) I need to go in and get new contacts, or I need an 80" TV. Just wasn't going to work for me right now. Probably my fault, I should be wearing corrective lenses but haven't as my uncorrected eyesight isn't THAT bad, but it's not 20/20. But if I wear contacts that will jack up my close up vision more. So maybe when 80" TVs get cheaper?

2) I was expecting that by moving the display further away I would have less sound from my midfields reflecting off the back of my 43" display and thus maybe better center image, etc. My experiment made me realize it really didn't seem all that much better... if at all.

So. after all that re-arranging I ended up putting things back to how they were (for now). I may re-visit this later, but I really need to get off my lazy ass and wire in some outboard gear I bought into my patch bay.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I can't really say the room sounds better with the big screen (it measures very similarly before and after), but I still like the "Grand Display." :koolaid:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 pm I can't really say the room sounds better with the big screen (it measures very similarly before and after), but I still like the "Grand Display." :koolaid:
I totally get it! I just checked your original post and you set up a 75" TV... I think maybe that's the sweet spot. My 65" was just too small and too hard to read the plugins on inserts and track names, etc. I bet a 75" would be much better.