Go Big or Go Home?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dwilliams
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Go Big or Go Home?

Post by dwilliams »

I don't understand this. I tried using a large TV monitor and slowed my system way down and I had to switch back. I wonder why it didn't work out for me. First I tried a 55" LG which was too big as it is right in front of me. Then I tried a 40" (Visio, TCL? I don't remember). It was great. I kept my 25:9 display and set that above the main monitor. But as I said my system slowed way down. I was getting latency on the mouse and DP was significantly handicapped. I switched back and problems solved. I was planning to buy a dedicate Dell computer monitor (I think they are 43" but could be 40"). Maybe I don't need to?
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Did you set up the TV to work at 60Hz and in Game (low latency) Mode? Otherwise, it is gonna' feel laggy. No reason it should slow down your computer.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

My thought exactly brother.

However, he did say his system / DP slowed down as well.

Hopefully it was simply an impression he got due to non-game-mode mouse lag.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

I did try gaming mode (which did improve but not eliminate mouse latency). I did a lot of troubleshooting before I threw in the towel. That is why I'm so confused. All these TVs have very similar specs and a wide range of price points. I wonder if there are some critical parameters that have to be satisfied.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm using a 43" Samsung 4K TV connected to the HDMI port of my Mac Studio and not having any issues here. I think HC Markus is using a Samsung also. Did you check to see what color profile you are using? I could be completely wrong, but I vaguely remember something about using a particular color profile in the Display settings that could slow things down. Again, though... I may total remember that wrong.

That's very, very odd. Can't figure out why. Are you getting a good refresh rate in the Displays control panel? It needs to be about 60 Hertz to feel smooth.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
tremo

Post by tremo »

I've also been using a 43" Samsung 4K TV as monitor for the past few years with no issues. Connected directly to HDMI port on Mac Studio.

One thing to check in System Settings/Displays: Are you using the full 4K resolution (3840 x 2160), not scaling down to a lower resolution? Per Apple: "Using a scaled resolution may affect performance". Have a feeling you already know this, though...
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.5 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 11
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dwilliams wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:12 pm I wonder if there are some critical parameters that have to be satisfied.
The other key (for response) is to be sure the monitor is running @ 60HZ, not 30. Also, as Tremo notes, native 4k resolution is optimal. You can scale DP itself if necessary.

It is also desirable to set Chroma to 4:4:4 when using a TV as a computer monitor. That must be done within TV, and the specific instructions vary from TV to TV. https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:55 amIt is also desirable to set Chroma to 4:4:4 when using a TV as a computer monitor. That must be done within TV, and the specific instructions vary from TV to TV. https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling
Where did you find this? I think you have a Samsung also? I went to the link and found these instructions:
SAMSUNG TVS
From the settings page, under picture settings, select expert settings. Scroll down to "HDMI UHD color." From here you can select which inputs have this feature enabled. You will have to select PC mode for the input as well.
But I do not have that setting on mine. Hmmm....

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Newer TVs may auto-select 4:4:4 when connected to a computer (or so I've read somewhere), but the details are NOT easy to find!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:51 pm Newer TVs may auto-select 4:4:4 when connected to a computer (or so I've read somewhere), but the details are NOT easy to find!
Ahhh... well I was just curious. Things are working fine here either way.

dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

I experimented with all the recommendations mentioned here. But I think I notice a theme "Samsung". Maybe I'll try that.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* DP 11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dwilliams wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:07 am I experimented with all the recommendations mentioned here. But I think I notice a theme "Samsung". Maybe I'll try that.
My inexpensive Hisense is working great, too, just sayin' :D
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:02 am I'm using a 43" Samsung 4K TV connected to the HDMI port of my Mac Studio and not having any issues here. I think HC Markus is using a Samsung also. Did you check to see what color profile you are using? I could be completely wrong, but I vaguely remember something about using a particular color profile in the Display settings that could slow things down. Again, though... I may total remember that wrong.

That's very, very odd. Can't figure out why. Are you getting a good refresh rate in the Displays control panel? It needs to be about 60 Hertz to feel smooth.
This. James is remembering correctly.

Apple defaults to a 10 bit color profile. When everything is lagging, switching to anything else resolves the conflict. I had to do this with my first iMac Pro which surprised me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro