DP11.31 is now available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP11.31 is now available

Post by bayswater »

IIRC, you (Stubbs) had problems like this for quite a while. Too bad you can't get to the bottom of what's happening.

I've had no problems at all with DP 11. I've also just set up a working volume using Monterey, and was able to port over just about all my other audio apps and plugins, and that it working well too.

The one exception is that every time there is a major or minor update in DP, the first time I launch it, it crashes. After that, it just works.

I know that doesn't help you at all, but there must be something going on in your system with a plugin, a drive, an interfering process, etc., that accounts for this.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:19 pm...had to fix some things and re-export. DP gave me the option to replace, which I did, but then it wrote a separate file with a "2" appended.
I've been experiencing that one for awhile... you check "replace" and DP still creates a .2 version, leaving the original in place. Pretty sure that pre-dates 11.31.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, HCMarkus & Bayswater

The idea of creating a bare-bones external boot drive to test DP, then gradually adding in various components until I find a culprit is daunting. The chief suspects are my RME interface (FF800), and the Rogue Amoeba things I have installed (or some combination of the two). Both companies swear that my issues are not their fault. But it could have some other cause. It's both exhausting, and actually kind of boring at this point.

What was a relief was that these issues weren't crashes, but rather DP actually rescuing itself from a crash and giving me an out. I can't let that little good thing go unnoticed.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:46 pm Thanks, HCMarkus & Bayswater

The idea of creating a bare-bones external boot drive to test DP, then gradually adding in various components until I find a culprit is daunting. The chief suspects are my RME interface (FF800), and the Rogue Amoeba things I have installed (or some combination of the two). Both companies swear that my issues are not their fault. But it could have some other cause. It's both exhausting, and actually kind of boring at this point.

What was a relief was that these issues weren't crashes, but rather DP actually rescuing itself from a crash and giving me an out. I can't let that little good thing go unnoticed.
There is a problem with creating an external boot drive on Apple Silicon. Many .kxt and other extensions will not load and there is no workaround no matter what the security settings—developers have complained about that since 2021. MOTU audio interface drivers will not load, for example (MOTU MIDI drivers can, however).

Creating a second bootable APFS Volume on the System drive does work without that restriction, however, as I found out while testing MOTU drivers over Sonoma. I have a second Volume running Ventura so that I can run Acrobat Pro without the Sonoma Text Tool issue. One of the benefits is that deleting this second Volume is very easy in Disk Utility once it's no longer needed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:00 pm There is a problem with creating an external boot drive on Apple Silicon. Many .kxt and other extensions will not load and there is no workaround no matter what the security settings
Creating a second bootable APFS Volume on the System drive does work without that restriction, however, as I found out while testing MOTU drivers over Sonoma. ... One of the benefits is that deleting this second Volume is very easy in Disk Utility once it's no longer needed.
I had no idea booting from an external volume would ever be a problem. Yikes!! Thanks for the heads up!!

And to Apple, another big fat "Sheesh!".

Thank you so much the workaround tip. I think I would have avoided making a volume in this manner, but it sounds like a good solution. Also makes me glad I got a relatively roomy 4 TB SSD with my 2022 MBP.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:32 pm

I had no idea booting from an external volume would ever be a problem. Yikes!! Thanks for the heads up!!

And to Apple, another big fat "Sheesh!".

Thank you so much the workaround tip. I think I would have avoided making a volume in this manner, but it sounds like a good solution. Also makes me glad I got a relatively roomy 4 TB SSD with my 2022 MBP.
Unlike partitioning, multiple APFS volumes share the physical space up to the capacity of your drive.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:46 pm Thanks, HCMarkus & Bayswater

The idea of creating a bare-bones external boot drive to test DP, then gradually adding in various components until I find a culprit is daunting.
Daunting it is. My approach to new stuff has been to have a second volume on the internal drive. It uses up very little space because volumes share the drive where partitions don’t. Even so, it takes a long time to get through all the installations you have to get through, each with it’s own peculiar authorization scheme.

On my system, using the approach the more frequent villains have been from Adobe, Microsoft and Steinberg. In my most recent effort, Izotope was a mess and I’ve dumped it.

Once the new volume is working you can delete most things on the older volume and use that as the test volume. At least there is a chance you can have a reliable production setup while you try out new stuff.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I guess one question is whether the installers (iLok and the like) will count my current installation plus the one on the volume as two separate counts of installation.

Honestly, I don't know if I have even the patience to do all this. It's exhausting even to think about. So are the headaches of a unstable DP, but the devil you know....

dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

Regret to say I'm having some crashes and some weird behavior. I'll have to document them but I can think of a couple off hand. Sometimes crashes when I move an insert. When I launch a project I have to go redetect the latency three times for every hardware insert before it syncs up. I need to mute my speakers first cause each time it gives a nasty pop. Also, I have this problem with kernal task running haywire and taking like 900% CPU power and bringing my system to its' knees. Not sure what is going on there.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:35 pm I guess one question is whether the installers (iLok and the like) will count my current installation plus the one on the volume as two separate counts of installation.
Yes, a concern if you don’t use a USB key iLok. You can drag your licences off the mac back into the account to de-activate then put them back in place in the new volume or account.. I had to do that when setting up a new volume, except for the licences on the USB key which worked for any instance of a plugin on the computer with the USB key.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Another weird behavior I'd seen a few times was that I'd hit play and some tracks would be WAY out of sync, then I'd stop and restart and it would correct itself. Add that to the list of new features.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:26 am Another weird behavior I'd seen a few times was that I'd hit play and some tracks would be WAY out of sync, then I'd stop and restart and it would correct itself. Add that to the list of new features.
That’s AI making “creative” suggestions. :sorry:
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

stubbsonic wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:26 am Add that to the list of new features.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

stubbsonic wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:26 am Another weird behavior I'd seen a few times was that I'd hit play and some tracks would be WAY out of sync, then I'd stop and restart and it would correct itself. Add that to the list of new features.
This is in the previous version as well, at least for me. Also sometimes a track will be muted and I'll have to stop and restart playback. I get both of these a lot, I haven't updated to 11.31 yet.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

DP 11.31 seems to have broken the beloved Instant Preview for all things Groove Quantize. In MIDI editor, drum editor etc...

Can anyone confirm that for us?

NOTE DP 11.3 still works as it should in that regard .

Thanks (created tech link already. Aint heard back quite yer)
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.