DP encountered error -43. Show stopper. Any ideas?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP encountered error -43. Show stopper. Any ideas?

Post by Henry Robinett »

Hey Motu peeps. Long time no see. I've got an annoying problem. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this. If DP file is sitting open for any length of time, say 10 minutes, I gt an error message. -43. I'm on DP 11.3, OS 12.7.2 Monterey. Suddenly I get the box that says DP has encountered a problem. I hit OK but it won't stop. I have to force quit.

Obviously this makes me nervous. I have a session tomorrow and I would like to avoid this problem. Any ideas what this could be?
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Henry Robinett

Re: DP encountered error -43. Show stopper. Any ideas?

Post by Henry Robinett »

This. It was problem free for 30 minutes. I saved it, then clicked on Firefox to look at this page and instantly I got the message again.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2024-02-25 at 4.29.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-25 at 4.29.43 PM.png (152.29 KiB) Viewed 596 times
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hey Henry,

Many threads on this. Many arguments on the causes but MOTU hasn't a clue and cannot reproduce it. I do not believe that it's related to Time Machine but that's what MOTU is telling people based on the thread below.

It is not a showstopper, however, and there's a simple workaround. Read through this.

viewtopic.php?p=608131&hilit=time+machine#p608131

Basically, after clicking OK, you will navigate to your Project Folder. Click Save — make sure that Copy Audio is checked and let it overwrite. Then continue.

I first encountered it on my iMac Pro over High Sierra or Mojave with DP 9.5. DP 10 was the worst but I saw it a few times in 11 on my Intel Macs.

I no longer see it on new projects created in DP 11 over Ventura and Sonoma on my M2 Studio. In fact, I thought this was gone until I encountered it just yesterday in a project begun in DP 10—probably a year since the last time on my iMP. So I followed the instructions in the previous paragraph and all was good … till the next time.

As I've told MOTU Support, if it really is Time Machine, it's damned irresponsible of them not to find and fix it. I have never turned TM off.

You can give me a call but not this evening. I'm on a flight to NYC at too damned early in the AM. My meeting is Wed but otherwise, I'm available off and on.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

As Mike said.
Who knows?
I'm in Monterey too.
I had to turn off automatic backups in Time Machine.
I backup daily with TM, before turning computer down.
Still waiting for a fix or a better workaround.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I run TM continuously and do not see this issue as described by Henry. But I am on Apple Silicon.

I have had a couple of occurrences where a recording simply disappears immediately. But this has only happened two or three times over many, many hours of recording.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Did the other threads on this look at whether there is a link to the type of drives being used, or how permissions are set on them? I’ve been slowing building a Monterey volume to replace the Mojave volume I’ve used for the past several years, and have come across permission issues that didn’t happen with Mojave. There are other threads suggesting that while you might expect all drives to work more or less the same way, that is certainly not the case.

I also noticed that recent OS versions are much fussier about plugins than Monterey. I had to go to security settings many times to get a plugin to load. If i had simply updated the OS, would macOS have “hidden” these plugins, resulting in a “not found” error?

There is another error mentioned in OSX Daily about one app trying to tell another what to do, needing a change in security settings. This only happens in the last two macOS versions.

BTW, I’d have to agree about TM. I’ve had it on and off for both versions of macOS and never had this message.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When it happened to me a few days ago on my M2 over Sonoma, it was after the project had been opened about 15 minutes and it was on my first Save. That project had last opened on my IMac Pro over Monterey and had begun in DP10..

The first thing I checked was when Time Machine had run and that had been 45 minutes earlier.

Anyway, I did my normal routine of navigating to the Project folder and letting it overwrite then continued my work. I delivered it the next day after about 7 more hours of work without incident.

The only thing I know for certain is that it happens on Save. If it pops up without warning, AutoSave is on. Before I found my workaround, I would reboot and open the last autosavve, losing any work I’d done in the meantime. Since my workaround, I’ve not lost a note. Even though it takes only a few seconds, it’s still annoying as hell.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

I see I haven't replied to this thread in forever. I was with MOTU support. I disabled TM and have not had the issue since. I'm not sure that that's the ultimate answer but for me, as long as I have TM disabled it runs fine.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Henry Robinett wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:11 pm I see I haven't replied to this thread in forever. I was with MOTU support. I disabled TM and have not had the issue since. I'm not sure that that's the ultimate answer but for me, as long as I have TM disabled it runs fine.
MOTU does not actually know this—they've never seen it. That recommendation is based it on info posted here.

If you run into it again, see my workaround or give me a call.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm
Henry Robinett wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:11 pm I see I haven't replied to this thread in forever. I was with MOTU support. I disabled TM and have not had the issue since. I'm not sure that that's the ultimate answer but for me, as long as I have TM disabled it runs fine.
MOTU does not actually know this—they've never seen it. That recommendation is based it on info posted here.

If you run into it again, see my workaround or give me a call.
The support guy said he would forward the info to MOTU. Let's see. He was "witness" to my troubleshooting.

OK Mike. Will do. Thanks.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I wonder if this has anything to do with the DP OS error disk is full (-34)

posting.php?mode=reply&t=62335

with this post:
- Converting the 24/48k WAV file to something else does not throw the error
Hmmmm... The reason I wonder is that I've been working 32bit float exclusively for three years but I saw -43 just a few weeks ago. What the? So, I opened that project a few minutes ago and checked. Sure enough, I had created it in 2019 and every track is still 48k/24. Since converting a project takes only a few seconds, I did so before closing.

All other projects for this album are 48k/32bit float internally and none have given me this grief.

The only times I don't work 48k/32bit float internally are except certain AV where the client requests 96k—then it's 96/32bit float. I bounce to 48/24 or 44.1/16 depending on the destination but that has never resulted in -43.

One more thing to watch, I suppose.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Shooting in the dark again, but narrowing may help:
- Could this behavior be related to Time Machine drive being an APFS volume, not a disk partition?
- Does this behavior affect any non-Monterey MacOS system?
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

daniel.sneed wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:31 pm Shooting in the dark again, but narrowing may help:
- Could this behavior be related to Time Machine drive being an APFS volume, not a disk partition?
I am positive that Time Machine is not involved. It's really easy to see when TM just ran or if it's about to. The second that -43 pops, it and the Activity monitor are checked ASAP.

It happens on Save or AutoSave and no other time. I now keep the Activity Monitor.app window open just to see what happens when this occurs. If any process turns red, I can drill down quickly to see if it's a system process or .kxt that's misbehaving and how.
Does this behavior affect any non-Monterey MacOS system?
Absolutely. I've experienced it over High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura (on my iMac Pros) & Sonoma 14.31 (M2 Studio) the one time.

Pretty sure that I never saw it in DP 9.5 but it was the bane of my workflow in DP 10 until I discovered the workaround, then it was just annoying. I've rarely seen it in DP 11 but that was released in 2021 after I went to working in 32bit float. It may be that I was seeing it in older projects only but it was rare in DP 11.

That 48k/24bit might be the issue never occurred to me till I read that other post this morning. I checked to see that the time I've seen it on my Studio was on a project where all of the sound bites are 48k/24.

I'm not declaring victory—MOTU hasn't fixed this yet—but now there's a new clue.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:49 pm

I am positive that Time Machine is not involved.
Yes, but my experience says “not so fast”. It’s been months since I switched to manual TM backups, haven’t seen it once.

viewtopic.php?p=604440#p604440

I will turn automatic backups back on and see what happens as incremental OS and DP updates have occurred since.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:49 pm[...]I am positive that Time Machine is not involved. It's really easy to see when TM just ran or if it's about to. The second that -43 pops, it and the Activity monitor are checked ASAP.[...]
Not sure about what you mean, Mike.
But, I can say that TM automatic backup is unchecked, and no more -43 for monthes, now.
But as soon as I chek TM automatic backup again, -43, shows its uggly face within the very next hour.
And, more: when engaging TM manual backup while DP is launched (playing, tracking or stopped) -43 shows up immediately.
I'll follow your advice, Mike, and I'll give a look at activity monitor at the very moment.