Double midi-notes??? - RESOLVED

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
happymoogman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Double midi-notes??? - RESOLVED

Post by happymoogman »

Anyone have an idea why every time I record a series of MIDI notes, it's recording another MIDI note on top of the other?
In other words, if I delete a MIDI note, I'll find a hidden one right under where the other was.

Puzzling.

Help?

dana
Apple 27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5750, SuperDrive, TA, DP9, El Capitan, Reason, Ivory, samplemodeling, Kontact, Kirk Hunter Diamond Symphony, REAL analog modular synth!
HCMarkus

Re: Double midi-notes???

Post by HCMarkus »

Your controller is likely spitting out notes simultaneously on two MIDI channels.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I suppose another possibility is that the MID Patch Thru (Studio menu) might be sending played notes back out to your keyboard and maybe the keyboard is sending those thru-- However, if that was the case, you would think a nasty MIDI loop would be created.

In any case, you could turn MIDI Patch Thru off, just in case it happens to be on. See if that helps.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
happymoogman

Post by happymoogman »

Aha! I figured it out!
Turns out that my new MIDI keyboard sends data through the USB cable not only to get power, but it also sends MIDI data to DP through the same cable. I was thinking "old school" and I also had a traditional MIDI cable running to my audio/MIDI interface, so it was getting double MIDI data that way!

Thanks to those who responded.
I must learn the ways of these new-fangled keyboards that all the hippity-hop kids are using these days, by cracky!

dc
Apple 27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5750, SuperDrive, TA, DP9, El Capitan, Reason, Ivory, samplemodeling, Kontact, Kirk Hunter Diamond Symphony, REAL analog modular synth!
stubbsonic

Re: Double midi-notes??? - RESOLVED

Post by stubbsonic »

Glad you got it sorted.

When I'm looking at gear, I still NEED to see a MIDI din connector-- I have two Kurzweil keyboards that I still use MIDI with for some things. I suppose over time, we'll see those less and less.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Re: Double midi-notes??? - RESOLVED

Post by HCMarkus »

I hadn't used DIN MIDI for years, always USB, but recently started doing keyboard sessions at another studio where having both comes in very handy... I drive my DP/MainStage laptop rig directly from USB. The studio takes the MIDI DIN, converts to USB, and records MIDI in Pro Tools alongside my rig's stereo audio output.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31