8pre ES - Won’t Boot / Might Partially Boot

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
motupanplayer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

8pre ES - Won’t Boot / Might Partially Boot

Post by motupanplayer »

My 8pre ES won’t consistently boot now. Sometimes it will light up all buttons, but no display. Sometimes it will get to the point of showing the MOTU logo in both screens. Sometimes it will go further, but get hung on the animated waves. And then sometimes it will make it through a full boot, but then become unresponsive in a couple of minutes.

I got this in 2020, so it’s well out of warranty. But geez… it’s now - $1100 brick??

Anyone know of a button combo that will reinitialize this device? Or a possible cause? Thanks!
HCMarkus

Re: 8pre ES - Won’t Boot / Might Partially Boot

Post by HCMarkus »

If it is the power supply, MOTU will sell you the part for $30 plus shipping
motupanplayer

Post by motupanplayer »

I have a feeling that’s might be the cause, as it seems to go funky the longer it’s on. So the internal supply is easily replaced?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I bought the supply as a backup, but have not needed it to date, so I can't say I've actually opened up my 828ES or carefully inspected the supply. That said, I'm virtually certain it is a pretty simple, no soldering required, situation.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31