Touch sensitive faders

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
CopyRon
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Touch sensitive faders

Post by CopyRon »

I would love to see touch sensitive faders for DP.
Touching fader selects channel.
Then I think DP would be perfect for me!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Touch sensitive faders

Post by James Steele »

Is there a reason why you posted this in off-topic?

Also do you mean that when you click a fader with a mouse to adjust the volume you want that track to be selected as well?

Anyway I’m going to keep an eye on your account as this is your first post and it appears to be a bit “bot like.”
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
CopyRon

Post by CopyRon »

I thought this was for petitions, things we would like to see added to DP.
i mean when you touch the the physical fader on your controller that it would select the channel on the DAW instead of having to use the select button.
Sorry I didn't mean to cause a problem.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

CopyRon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:26 pm I thought this was for petitions, things we would like to see added to DP.
i mean when you touch the the physical fader on your controller that it would select the channel on the DAW instead of having to use the select button.
No problem. I just wanted to make sure you were a real person. We're getting odd posts that I suspect are AI lately.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

CopyRon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:26 pm I thought this was for petitions, things we would like to see added to DP.
I used to have a 32 channel controller from JL Cooper that worked perfectly through OS 10.4 (Tiger). I and someone in France were able to kludge the drivers through 10.7 but the next MacOS killed it. No selection, though, just 32 sliders.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

There are a few MIDI controllers that work the way you mention. Mackey's MCU does what you are looking for, though, it does not seem to be a popular controller. I love it though.
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.3.1
DP11.3
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB
CopyRon

Post by CopyRon »

I am using MCU with a tascam and Icon pro and can find no setting to make the faders touch select track, they do in all my other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

CopyRon wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:05 pm I am using MCU with a tascam and Icon pro and can find no setting to make the faders touch select track, they do in all my other DAWs.
Maybe your hardware doesn't support it? I do know that EUCON controllers like the Euphonix MC series that later became Avid Artist (discontinued), as well as Avid S3 like I have (slated to be "unsupported" at the end of 2024), and the Avid S1 can all select the track by touching the fader.

Even though they are discontinued, the old Euphonix MC Control and MC Mix still work today. I know because I had an MC Control and MC Mix until I recently bought a used S3. Honestly, if I didn't get the S3, the combo of an MC/Artist Mix (or two) and an iPad running Avid Control would be a killer setup on a budget.

CopyRon

Post by CopyRon »

maybe there is something I'm missing in setings because these contoller support fader touch in Cubase and my other Daws
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

The MCU can do it. You have to have the track in DP set to Touch mode and have Enable Automation Playback and Enable Automation Recording on. Chapter 71 page 873 in the User Manual.
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.3.1
DP11.3
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB