Copying only volume data

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
csansom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Copying only volume data

Post by csansom »

A passage in my sequence (bars 47-69) is repeated later on (145-167), and while the notes might vary slightly, I would like to copy the automated volume data from 47-69 to 145-167 without copying the rest. I've looked into automation snapshots, but unless I'm seriously misunderstanding it this doesn't seem to be the answer. Is there some way to copy the volume data without also copying the audio data? I daresay it's something blindingly obvious, but I can’t see it! Disclaimer: I'm only an occasional user of DP, and it's awfully easy to forget stuff in between uses - and when I do use it it's generally for some quite serious and complex project.
iMac Pro (2017), macOS 12.7.2 Monterey, MOTU M4, Adam A7 monitors, DP 11.3 94678, Finale 27.4.1, VIs from NI, SampleModeling, AudioModeling, Spitfire, Soniccouture, IK, UVI, Modartt, etc. Studiologic acuna88 keyboard
csansom

Re: Copying only volume data

Post by csansom »

OK, I've found a workaround. It's clumsy, so I'd still love to hear if there's a proper solution to this, but it's worked for my present purpose. So, in case it's any use to anyone, here it is (using bar numbers in my previous post):

1 Set markers at bars 47, 69 and 145
2 If possible, arrange it so that you can see all the tracks in all the bars from 47 to 69 in the sequence editor (not too hard for me as I only have 13 tracks of audio, so I can close other panes or just squish them out of the way. If you need to make the tracks narrower you can hold the option key and drag one of them and they'll all snap into place when you let go).
3 Make sure all tracks are showing Volume (or whichever continuous data you want to copy) in the Audio Edit Layer mini-menu on the left. Again, you can do this easily by holding the option key and changing any one of them.
4 Turn on Snap to Grid - a largish value such as a quarter note makes it easy to deal with.
5 Set record head to the marker at 47, then move it a tad earlier to get it out of the way.
6 Do command-D to make sure nothing is selected.
7 Starting from the bottom left, drag up and right over all the tracks from 47 to 69 to select all the Volume data.
8 Copy.
9 Command-D again.
10 Set record head to the marker at 145.
11 Merge (Command-M or in the Edit menu).

That should do it. If you had already put any Volume data in the passage from 145 to 167, it might get messed up by the Merge, so beware of this and you may want to clear it out before you start.

I hope that's of some use to someone, but as I say I'd love to know the real answer!
iMac Pro (2017), macOS 12.7.2 Monterey, MOTU M4, Adam A7 monitors, DP 11.3 94678, Finale 27.4.1, VIs from NI, SampleModeling, AudioModeling, Spitfire, Soniccouture, IK, UVI, Modartt, etc. Studiologic acuna88 keyboard
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Merge is a super important command.

I tried using the view filter but it doesn't work as I'd expect.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
csansom

Post by csansom »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:54 am Merge is a super important command.

I tried using the view filter but it doesn't work as I'd expect.
No, I tried that too! Agree about Merge.