How Can I Tell if a Plugin is Apple Silicon Native?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How Can I Tell if a Plugin is Apple Silicon Native?

Post by stubbsonic »

I really hope that when Apple releases OS updates that either kill firewire or stop supporting Rosetta 2 that there will be a BIG-ASSED bold warning font: especially since rolling back OS's is more of a battle now.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:49 am I really hope that when Apple releases OS updates that either kill firewire or stop supporting Rosetta 2 that there will be a BIG-ASSED bold warning font: especially since rolling back OS's is more of a battle now.
Yeah... killing off Rosetta 2 will be a BIG DEAL, so I'm sure they will make that well known... at least the Apple-oriented websites and press will.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FireWire was never supported by Intel. Apple did a kludge through 2012 as they moved to Thunderbolt. Fortunately, TB supports most of the FW spec, the biggest exception being 24–27V bus power (TB1 and the Apple adapter only support 7.7V).

As long as the MOTU Audio Installer, still used by some current interfaces, is up to date, our ancient FW interfaces should still keep chugging along.

When I went through all the steps to get my MTP AV working over Sonoma, it disabled my 828mkII FW but reinstalling the Audio Installer twice brought it back to life.

I did discover that, with Apple Silicon, I could get MOTU MIDI interfaces working when booted from an external drive but not my 828. This is an Apple issue: certain types of extensions will not load and there is no workaround. Developers have been complaining about this since the M1 first appeared. As long as you’re installing on the System drive, you’re good.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Rick Cornish wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:29 pm Thanks, James. I discovered that today when I looked at it deeper. PlugInfo just tells you the status of *installed* plugins. It’s not a searchable database of all the plugins out there.

Makes sense.
This is a database of native plugins.
https://asaudio.tech

Unfortunately it's not up to date it's a one man show, but the thread on KVR shows posts of the newest updates.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... b#p8802341
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:18 am Only issue would be that one day Apple may remove Rosetta 2 from MacOS and solutions like that will cease to work.
Given what Apple did with 32-bit software, I'm assuming Rosetta will only be a temporary solution. I'm planning for that now.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Many years since we have M1 and BOZ still has not updated all of their plugins... frustrating. Literally every other plugin company I use has done so, except them!
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:42 am This is a database of native plugins.
https://asaudio.tech

Unfortunately it's not up to date it's a one man show, but the thread on KVR shows posts of the newest updates.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... b#p8802341
Thanks, Michael!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net