Custom key commands - a cautionary tale

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Custom key commands - a cautionary tale

Post by crduval »

Hi folks;

Just had an experience that I thought I'd relate in case this happens to you.

I recently noticed that one of the keys (F#3) on my MIDI controller was no longer recording MIDI data into DP. Just the one note.

My first thought was that my controller had a problem, most likely a guitar pick that had fallen into the keybed or something, so I got ready to open it up and check. But thankfully, before I did, I switched the synth over to local control just to verify that the key mechanism wasn't working. But the key worked fine playing the internal synth sounds. Based on how that hardware works, I couldn't imagine a scenario where a single key would trigger the internal sounds but not send MIDI data. It made no sense.

I then checked, and found that MIDI data was indeed being received by my interface from that key. Checking DP's MIDI monitor, I saw that DP could see the data come in as well - but still that note did not work.

I called up the Input filter, expecting to see somehow that I had excluded that particular key, but that wasn't it. Then I manually pencilled in the suspect note in the MIDI editor, and that worked fine- therefore it wasn't some kind of MIDI note muting.

At that point, I was flummoxed - until I remembered that I had recently watched one of the DP video seminars that talked about setting custom key combinations for DP functions. After seeing that video, I played with setting up a few custom commands of my own.

I checked, and sure enough, while I had been working to customize a few commands, I must have hit that key on my controller while scrolling through the long list of commands, and inadvertently assigned it to a command (I think it play-enabled chunk "Sequence 1", so nothing obvious happened in my single chunk project). I deleted the custom command and voila, all is now back to normal..

So keep both hands on the computer keyboard at all times when setting custom key commands! :lol:
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
cuttime

Re: Custom key commands - a cautionary tale

Post by cuttime »

This F# command has happened to so many people for so long that I hesitate to call it user error, rather possibly a bug. A suggestion has been made to save the project with the F# key command disabled as a template as a workaround.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Quite a few years back I recall having a keyboard player in the studio and having the same (or similar) problem. I can't remember if it was F#3 but I do remember it was an F#. I screwed around for a while and finally called MOTU. The person I spoke to immediately knew the problem and told me that a command was set to some F# by default. (I can't imagine why they would do that.) But, anyway, the quick fix was to uncheck Master Master in the commands window.

I never use MIDI event commands so I don't miss the functionality and I've just left it that way. So, it's not a bug. It's just IMHO a poor decision by MOTU. Like I said that was a while ago and I don't know if that has changed in recent versions of DP.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

In older versions of DP some MIDI commands were included in the default set - mostly transport and activated by checking the MIDI Masters at the top of the list. The more recent DP default set doesn't have any defined. They come in handy sometimes but if you use them, I recommend setting the source along with the MIDI event. That way when using a different keyboard or device y0u don't get any surprises. Some cheap controllers (ie Korg Nanos) can be very handy at times. Some apps (Metagrid) make extensive use of MIDI commands.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Finger Drum Pads make great Custom Keys... you can put them outside of the normal 88 range.

I've got a Korg PadControl I use for finger drumming, with a couple of presets set up for my preferred drum layouts. My Arturia keyboard also has a set of pads I have preset for articulation control. Either could easily be used to trigger key commands.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I didn't look at everything, but I don't see any MIDI event assignments in my COMMANDS window.

Are COMMANDS saved with each individual project? If so, then MOTU can hardly be blamed for COMMAND assignments from old projects. That said, there perhaps should be a "best practices" step that people can take with old projects, new projects, and defaults/templates that has to do with making sure you don't get bitten by this particular "feature".
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

HOLY GUACAMOLE! I've been living with a "broken" F#2 key on my MIDI keyboard for several years. I just checked the DP Command window and sure enough, that note was assigned to "Master Sequence"?? I believe. I deleted it and now the note plays on my keyboard! AMAZING!

I don't use a template, I start with a new project for every song. Will I have to delete this command every time I start a new project? It was the only command in the Command window which was assigned to a MIDI event.

Doug
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I've been caught by this one a few years ago. F# assigned to a sequence.
The cure is delete the MIDI command. Fast and easy.

But I can't remember what action, or actions chain, dit set that command in my computer.

Things may appear as bugs, while they are unexpected features.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
crduval

Post by crduval »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:19 am HOLY GUACAMOLE! I've been living with a "broken" F#2 key on my MIDI keyboard for several years. I just checked the DP Command window and sure enough, that note was assigned to "Master Sequence"?? I believe. I deleted it and now the note plays on my keyboard! AMAZING!

I don't use a template, I start with a new project for every song. Will I have to delete this command every time I start a new project? It was the only command in the Command window which was assigned to a MIDI event.

Doug
That's great! I think the command list persists for all projects, so you should be good.

Chris
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
crduval

Post by crduval »

Phil O wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:09 am
But, anyway, the quick fix was to uncheck Master Master in the commands window.
Thinking back, I think this was actually what happened in my case. I had checked the "Master Master" box as I was playing around with the commands window. Based on others' comments, I think that F# command was already in there as a default, but only became active when "Master Master" was checked. So it wasn't a result of my left hand noodling around on the keyboard while I scrolled around with the right, as I originally thought.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I actually eventually made a ever-updated list on my laptop of every MIDI controller # or note I've hijacked for some macro or key-command.

Also every key-combo, so I can quickly find unused ones.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks for posting, crduval. I've run into similar issues myself. This is one to watch out for, for sure.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Though DP can export the COMMANDS, there's no option to view as a spreadsheet-- which would be helpful. Viewing it in TextEdit just shows a long string of gibberish.

It's way too big for one screen grab.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

When you have the Commands window open you can use the File —> Print Window in the DP menu.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

CharlzS wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:03 pm When you have the Commands window open you can use the File —> Print Window in the DP menu.
Ah, right. Thanks for the reminder. And you can print as PDF on Mac.

Just a note, it will only print what is "revealed" in the window. I manually clicked on every disclosure triangle for every category and it went from 3 pages to 20 pages.

Also, Mac doesn't appear to allow me to copy & paste the content in that PDF into a spreadsheet.