UltraLite MK5: Latest Update Causes Delayed Recognition (and Lost Connection)?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jduber
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

UltraLite MK5: Latest Update Causes Delayed Recognition (and Lost Connection)?

Post by jduber »

Greetings all,

I installed the latest driver (Mac v94900) and firmware (2.0.1+2555) for my UltraLite Mk5 just as they became available on Jan. 12, 2024. Since then, I've noticed a consistent problem with my laptop not "seeing" the connected UltraLite for about a minute or so. During the delay, the unit seems to be functioning. I can hear audio out of my mains and headphones and see activity in the LED meters. Also, CueMix 5 seems to be working fine. It's just that the Sound selector in the menu bar and also in System Preferences does not list the UltraLite as an option for about a minute or so. It seems that if I change something in CueMix 5, the device will then be recognized.

Also, yesterday while listening to an extended playback (for about 2 hours or so), the connection was dropped completely. I rebooted the computer and UltraLite and then dealt with the issue of my laptop not seeing the device for about 5 minutes until I finally got it going again.

For the past year, this thing has been rock solid, so I'm thinking the new driver/firmware is a likely culprit. Has anyone else experienced this? Next time it happens, I'll report it to MOTU. But for now, I'm hoping the problem goes away. :?

Best,
jd
MacBook Air (M1, 2020), 8GB RAM, OS Big Sur 11.7.10, Logic Pro 10.7.4, Performer Lite 11.21, Motu UltraLite MK 5, Motu Traveler Mk 1
Calagan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UltraLite MK5: Latest Update Causes Delayed Recognition (and Lost Connection)?

Post by Calagan »

Hi jduber

I didn't install the latest driver, but my experience with this unit on a M1 Pro laptop was not that great.
Actually, the only driver I don't have problems with is the 93305 (still installed on my Mac, and reading you I don't want to update).

Maybe try to install a previous driver.
My experience was also that for each driver there were different issues, and going from a stable driver to an unstable driver, and then coming back to a stable driver was sometimes not working (i.e., the stable drivers were not stable anymore).

I love this device, but the drivers are truly a huge mess, at least for me (and it seems a lot of people had no issues the ulmk5).
jduber
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: UltraLite MK5: Latest Update Causes Delayed Recognition (and Lost Connection)?

Post by jduber »

So, I installed a newly released driver update today (Mac v95035 | Jan. 24, 2024) and have been testing it all day long. So far, so good. And, the new wireless capabilities of CueMix 5 make for a huge improvement.

Thanks MOTU!
MacBook Air (M1, 2020), 8GB RAM, OS Big Sur 11.7.10, Logic Pro 10.7.4, Performer Lite 11.21, Motu UltraLite MK 5, Motu Traveler Mk 1