Track 16 driver install on a MacBook Pro M1 Max external drive bug

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Aramis6
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Track 16 driver install on a MacBook Pro M1 Max external drive bug

Post by Aramis6 »

My Track 16 interface works perfectly when I boot my internal Ventura ssd . But, I did prepare an external thunderbolt external ssd with Ventura and followed meticulously the MOTU procedure to install the software and driver with no error message . But, it does not work . I see the Track 16 in the usb list and I see the kext file but it does not load it in the kernel ! Any users that got that problem . Motu support believe that it is an Apple problem .
mikehalloran

Re: Track 16 driver install on a MacBook Pro M1 Max external drive bug

Post by mikehalloran »

Welcome.

It's not a bug and MOTU is right. It is Apple.

Your Security settings need to be modified to boot from an external drive.
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... udio-inst/

There is a Read Me contained in this installer is the same document. The MOTU Audio Installer must be reinstalled on that drive while booted from that external (the first part can only be performed from your System drive).
MOTU Audio Installer
Mac v89555 | Oct. 13, 2021
macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11

Unfortunately, That doc is only correct for Big Sur and Monterey but can be used as a guide somewhat for Ventura and Sonoma. Hopefully, MOTU will update it when actual Sonoma drivers are released — this has not happened though the Pro Audio Installer for Big Sur–Ventura driver does work over macOS 14.

If you created that external boot drive by cloning, it will not work. You will need to install the macOS from your System drive after you have modified the Security settings. You can also create a macOS 13 Installer with a USB flash drive of 16GB or more (again, after modifying Security). Apple has support docs on how to do this.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Aramis6

Post by Aramis6 »

Even if I follow the procedure that you mention , it does not work at all !

It never come back with the security/privacy step with which I could allow the extension ;-)

I have issued a feedback at Apple for it and I am not glad at all with that .

Thanks for your replies
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Aramis6 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:47 am Even if I follow the procedure that you mention , it does not work at all !

It never come back with the security/privacy step with which I could allow the extension ;-)

I have issued a feedback at Apple for it and I am not glad at all with that .

Thanks for your replies
I did a little poking around. I have Ventura onto one of my externals (so I can get Acrobat Pro working again) and decided to see if I could get my 828mkII working which is no problem on my M2 Studio over Sonoma. It uses the same driver as the Track 16.

Apple has crippled the ability of some types of .kxt to load from external boot drives and there is no workaround including disabling the SIP (system integrity protection) in Terminal. I doubt that any of the developers in that blog you linked are loading the MOTU Audio Installer. It is definitely an Apple issue and many developers are screaming about it three years later.

Interestingly, the MOTU MIDI driver for 11–13 does work with the Security Settings weakened as required to boot from an external. That extension does load. I wasn't expecting this. Since it's Ventura, my MTP AV USB shows up again (something it won't do over Sonoma).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro