Aggregate UltraLite as a giant mixer?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Cathfragment
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Aggregate UltraLite as a giant mixer?

Post by Cathfragment »

Hello, I am using 2 UltraLite Firewire 400 audio interfaces as an aggregate device under MacOS Sonoma. When not using a DAW (Logic or Performer), is it possible to hear in the headphones of the first UltraLite the second UltraLite? In other words, I’d like to use the aggregate device as a giant mixer. Is that even possible outside of a DAW? I can do that in Logic no problem. But I often work in Finale which is not a DAW. Since I don’t have an external mixer, it would allow me to hear all my synths that are currently spreaded across both interfaces.

N.B. The 2 UltraLite are daisy chained through Firewire 400. Currently no physical outs go from the second one to the first one.

Edit: Could I use the S/PDIF Out from the second UltraLite and send it to the S/PDIF In of the first one? Does that even make any sense?
stubbsonic

Re: Aggregate UltraLite as a giant mixer?

Post by stubbsonic »

What you are suggesting seems like it SHOULD be possible, and I'm sorry but I'm not experienced enough with aggregate devices to advise you.

I'll just mention that with my M1 MacBook Pro (Monterey), I'm using software by Rogue Amoeba called "Loopback" which allows complex routing and virtual device creation. It "sees" all 28 inputs and outputs from my RME Fireface 800 and let's me patch things freely. I can also add multiple sources and destinations.

I'd be very surprised if it can't get done what you need. That said, try to do it first without.

Full disclosure, I sometimes have unexplained issues with my MBP & my interface. Some have suggested the Rogue Amoeba might be related. But the issues persist when booted in SAFE mode.

https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Finale supports only the stereo mix plus one additional mono audio track. I know of no way to use a mixer other than Finale's/ARIA or the VI Player (Kontakt, NotePerformer etc.) to mix the various tracks.

Perhaps there's a way to monitor Kontakt's 16 Outputs from within Finale as individual tracks but I have never tried it. I would post this question here.
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... t_activity
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Cathfragment

Post by Cathfragment »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:13 am I'll just mention that with my M1 MacBook Pro (Monterey), I'm using software by Rogue Amoeba called "Loopback" which allows complex routing and virtual device creation. It "sees" all 28 inputs and outputs from my RME Fireface 800 and let's me patch things freely. I can also add multiple sources and destinations.

I'd be very surprised if it can't get done what you need. That said, try to do it first without.
Thanks! I'll see if it does the job. I have some other software by Rogue Amoeba and I didn't think of trying it.
Cathfragment

Post by Cathfragment »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:13 pm Finale supports only the stereo mix plus one additional mono audio track. I know of no way to use a mixer other than Finale's/ARIA or the VI Player (Kontakt, NotePerformer etc.) to mix the various tracks.

Perhaps there's a way to monitor Kontakt's 16 Outputs from within Finale as individual tracks but I have never tried it. I would post this question here.
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... t_activity
I know Finale is quite limited in that respect. In the past when I contacted them about play back issues they always maintain that Finale wasn't a sequencer... playback was added as an after thought to be more convenient.

As far as I know Finale doesn't support using virtual instruments such as Kontakt and real synth through MIDI at the same time.

The problem here is that I'm using 3 external vintage synths (JV séries) and a fourth one on the second UltraLite. I hesitate to hook the fourth synth into the XLR/TRS jacks. Would that work ok?

The Ultra lite manual says that the 6 analog inputs are ideal for synths.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Cathfragment wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:24 pmI hesitate to hook the fourth synth into the XLR/TRS jacks. Would that work ok?
Yes! Just adjust the gain on the interface and, if necessary, reduce the output of the synth using its volume control.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Cathfragment

Post by Cathfragment »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:57 pm
Cathfragment wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:24 pmI hesitate to hook the fourth synth into the XLR/TRS jacks. Would that work ok?
Yes! Just adjust the gain on the interface and, if necessary, reduce the output of the synth using its volume control.
Thanks! I was just going through the Ultra Lite user guides... I have the original Firewire version (MK1) which is not clear about this. But reading the User manual for the MK5 version it indeed says it can be done. I hope they haven't change the circuit since v 1.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Cathfragment wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:26 pm
HCMarkus wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:57 pm
Thanks! I was just going through the Ultra Lite user guides... I have the original Firewire version (MK1) which is not clear about this. But reading the User manual for the MK5 version it indeed says it can be done. I hope they haven't change the circuit since v 1.
They have but HCM's reply is good.

I have an 828mkII
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Cathfragment

Post by Cathfragment »

Just an update on the situation. I finally ordered an S/PDIF cable and connected the Output of the second interface to the input of the first one. Then, in the MOTU Audio Setup, I assigned the Main out assign of the second UltraLite to S/PDIF. Now I can hear in Finale all my synths from the main out or headphones of the first UltraLite.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 8.59.57 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 8.59.57 PM.png (3.22 MiB) Viewed 477 times
phase0
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by phase0 »

I'm also on Ultralite MK1 but I've been stuck on Catalina & the 83634 driver. When I setup my system about 2 years ago, it didn't seem possible to run Cuemix on Post-Catalina Os's.

May I ask what drivers you are using & if there was a special process for getting it up & going on Sonoma? I'm pretty sure the 83634 wasn't working past Catalina & the only way I was able to get it work post Catalina was using the newer driver that didn't have Cuemix at the time.

Any insight here would be most welcome. I know we are talking about 20 y/o interface but the new ones have just as many problems or more.

Thanks
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

phase0 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:31 pm I'm also on Ultralite MK1 but I've been stuck on Catalina & the 83634 driver. When I setup my system about 2 years ago, it didn't seem possible to run Cuemix on Post-Catalina Os's.

May I ask what drivers you are using & if there was a special process for getting it up & going on Sonoma? I'm pretty sure the 83634 wasn't working past Catalina & the only way I was able to get it work post Catalina was using the newer driver that didn't have Cuemix at the time.

Any insight here would be most welcome. I know we are talking about 20 y/o interface but the new ones have just as many problems or more.

Thanks
CueMix is built into your unit's firmware. The driver allows you to access the GUI and set it up. The original UltraLite uses the MOTU Audio Installer. Because your unit is no longer supported, you'll have to go to the Downloads page for the UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid and grab this one:
Driver Supports
MOTU Audio Installer
Mac v89555 | Oct. 13, 2021
macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11
It does not mention Sonoma but it is the one you want. Follow all the prompts except the one for modifying your Security Settings — reboot first and then follow them. I suggest reading this first.

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... igh-sierra
phase0

Post by phase0 »

many thanks for being a champion here & fielding these types of questions - thank you -

i remember the mixer not being quite right so i uninstalled BIg Sur / manually installed catalina to have the nice mixer. but in the screenshots above he has the original looking Cuemix exactly as mine. when i see screenshots from the hybrid mixer it looks a little bit different.

i likely just need to make a clone, remove the old driver i'm on, upgrade to Sonoma, then install the one you recommend - which I know I tried before because its dated oct 2021. but there is also the 2022 one that I've never tried.

reading threads i see mention of an uninstaller - do you know if thats packaged in the installer or where i might find those?

sounds to me like apple finally have a good OS in Sonoma. want to upgrade Cubase & be compatible with the Ableton 12 which arrives in a few weeks. I'd rather spend the tax return on an analog mixer for summing instead of audio interface.. so hopefully can get it going on Sonoma. thanks!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

i likely just need to make a clone,...
What do you mean by that? Please be specific.
phase0

Post by phase0 »

although i keep a time machine, i also do periodic clones to external disc for backup via SuperDuper.

just want to be able to escape easily if it doesn't end up working out
phase0

Post by phase0 »

well thats crazy. I backed up & installed Sonoma over top of Catalina with the existing driver I'm using & everything seems to be happy & its the old version of Cuemix too.

i'm a lil stunned tbh.

god bless motu & the unstoppable firewire protocol :unicorn: :koolaid: .