Win11, Reason, ASIO MOTU Pro Audio Driver not working.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Barningham
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Win11, Reason, ASIO MOTU Pro Audio Driver not working.

Post by Barningham »

I truly suspect this to be a Win11 issue however, I'm looking to see if anyone else has encountered this or has any suggestions on how to fix this.

It started shortly after installing the latest Reason 12 update (12.7.1d91, build 15,467). And of course, Windows loves to do its continuous updates (currently version 23H2, OS Build 22631.3007). I'm not precisely certain when it quit working.

I'm running this on a Dell XPS 15 with an I9 with 64 GB RAM and a MOTU 8pre-es. None of the hardware is new by at least a couple of years.

If I use MOTU Discovery or MOTU Pro Audio Control I have no issues communicating with the 8pre-es.

I've also run Reason 12 (12.7.1d91, build 15,467) on my poor little decrepit Lenovo desktop running Win10 using the same cables, and everything works just fine, albeit slowly.

I've tried the Thunderbolt interface and have never gotten anywhere with it. I have an Apple TB3/TB2 adapter allegedly bidirectional and a TB2 cable. Nothing I've tried these on produced any form of result and I'm tired of throwing money in that direction. Especially since the USB worked up until now.

Any help or sympathy is appreciated.

Thanks.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Win11, Reason, ASIO MOTU Pro Audio Driver not working.

Post by CharlzS »

You can check for multiple devices in the Device Manager. Make sure to show hidden devices in the View menu. Look in Sound, Video and Game controllers for MOTU Pro Audio duplicates. If any greyed out, right click and Uninstall device. Usually the major upgrades reset all the power management for the USB hubs and controllers so try turning off power management for those. In the Sound Control Panel uncheck the exclusive options for all the I/O. There's always uninstall/reinstall the drivers, but make sure no dups in the device manager before.

TB is another story. I run an 828es via TB3 on Windows. If you have TB4 you're SOL - it won't work. If TB3, make sure it's enabled in BIOS and set for security level SL1 (User Authentication). You should have a TB Control Center in your menu apps. In the Approve Devices options select the 8-Pre in in the dropdown set to Always Connect.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1