MOTU Traveler acting strange...

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Worlingham
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU Traveler acting strange...

Post by Worlingham »

Hi all,

Just got my old(ish) MOTU Traveler MK1 out of its box, but it's acting strange. I've tried everything online to no luck, was wondering if any old heads might have some pointers:

Basically when it turns on, startup screen goes:

'MOTU Traveler' then 'CueMixDSP' then nothing....(and not picked up by PC).

However*** Every so often it just works perfectly, starts up, initialises (and then I hear the relays click to properly finish it turning on) and it works amazingly. However this is only every 20 tries or so. Otherwise it's just MOTU Traveler - CueMixDSP and then nothing. I haven't noticed any patterns with when it actually turns on.

Have tried wiggling everything around, tried other cables etc, taken in apart and replaced some of the slightly bulged caps....but no improvement. Anyone have any bright ideas?? I don't!

My best guess is that this is something wrong with the cuemix dsp chip??

Regards,

Worlingham
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU Traveler acting strange...

Post by mikehalloran »

Heat is the enemy and bulged caps confirm it. Power supply, circuit board, burnt resistors, cold solder joints can all be sources — all are off the shelf components but MOTU has never published schematics or parts lists.

The CueMix chip is proprietary of course. MOTU is adamant that they no longer support discontinued gear.

My only recommendation is to burnish all internal connectors and IC sockets by dissembling and reconnecting three times. It's a Hail Mary but sometimes works. You might see some corrosion or problem in the process.

If that doesn't do it — and it probably won't, time to ask yourself: What is my time worth? and go interface shopping. NAMM is in a few weeks. MOTU won't be exhibiting but others will. Pay attention to the announcements. Perhaps something new will appeal to you. Other times, new gear will cause the current offerings to go on sale.

I notice this is your first post. Welcome! We are a Users group and not affiliated with MOTU. This allows us not to toe the company line regarding your options.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Worlingham

Post by Worlingham »

Thanks very much for the reply and the welcome! Guess I'll be going and giving things a wiggle....

W
Worlingham

Post by Worlingham »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:23 am Heat is the enemy and bulged caps confirm it. Power supply, circuit board, burnt resistors, cold solder joints can all be sources — all are off the shelf components but MOTU has never published schematics or parts lists.

The CueMix chip is proprietary of course. MOTU is adamant that they no longer support discontinued gear.

My only recommendation is to burnish all internal connectors and IC sockets by dissembling and reconnecting three times. It's a Hail Mary but sometimes works. You might see some corrosion or problem in the process.

If that doesn't do it — and it probably won't, time to ask yourself: What is my time worth? and go interface shopping. NAMM is in a few weeks. MOTU won't be exhibiting but others will. Pay attention to the announcements. Perhaps something new will appeal to you. Other times, new gear will cause the current offerings to go on sale.

I notice this is your first post. Welcome! We are a Users group and not affiliated with MOTU. This allows us not to toe the company line regarding your options.

Interesting (but positive) development Mike. I removed the (header pin connected) DSP IC and now it all works perfectly every time. Presumably this removes the CueMix DSP ability, but I don't need that anyway!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Nice work Worlingham. Thanks for reporting back!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Worlingham wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:55 pm
Interesting (but positive) development Mike. I removed the (header pin connected) DSP IC and now it all works perfectly every time. Presumably this removes the CueMix DSP ability, but I don't need that anyway!
Yes, thanks for the follow up!

Did you try replacing the chip to see if it still works? If so, corrosion would be the suspect—doesn't take much.

Otherwise, I bet there's a ton of old, non-functioning interfaces using that same chip waiting for you to one find in "non-working, parts only" condition that can be picked up for a song.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:44 pmOtherwise, I bet there's a ton of old, non-functioning interfaces using that same chip waiting for you to one find in "non-working, parts only" condition that can be picked up for a song.
This! I often see Travelers for sale at ridiculous prices. I would just get another, or find a "for parts only" unit to cannibalize. eBay is often good for the latter!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Worlingham

Post by Worlingham »

So yes, I put the chip in and all works fantastically well. I don't like to deliberate, but I suspect it's something to do with the header pin connection to the TI DSP chip or a another connector like you say! I did replace the burnt out (somehow) LCD LED (wasn't much fun to solder) also and now have a lovely bright green display again....
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Worlingham wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:39 pm So yes, I put the chip in and all works fantastically well. I don't like to deliberate, but I suspect it's something to do with the header pin connection to the TI DSP chip or a another connector like you say! I did replace the burnt out (somehow) LCD LED (wasn't much fun to solder) also and now have a lovely bright green display again....
That LCD backlight is a known trouble spot. Tons of threads here and on Gearspace about this.

Be careful, you may become ground zero for everyone having issues with these. :headbang:

Seriously, this is good news and thanks for getting back to us.