What has happened to DP

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What has happened to DP

Post by James Steele »

By the way... I have to recognize of course that without a common plugin standard, DAWproject would be very limited. I'd almost be happy with a better OMF. I haven't had time, but I've wanted to dedicate a day to figuring out a procedure from going from a DP Project to Pro Tools project (and likely vice versa) that's as painless as possible. Accepting that there will be pain and it will involve multiple steps. I don't want to have to just print all the audio from the same point and drag WAV files.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I would love to see forward movement on CLAP and MIDI 2.0.

Both are addressing ancient short-comings, and will propel many new tools, powers/features.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:26 pm I would love to see forward movement on CLAP and MIDI 2.0.

Both are addressing ancient short-comings, and will propel many new tools, powers/features.
I'm not so stoked about MIDI 2.0. MIDI 1.0 has done the job for me. I would just LOVE true seamless project portability between DAWs one day, but that feels like a pipe dream.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:43 pm I'm not as excited about CLAP. I could be totally wrong, but I don't see it ever catching on in widespread use. Apple has their own Audio Units.... Steinberg/Yahama has VST3... there's a "Not Invented Here" mentality often times and no incentive for these large corporations to go to an open standard.
I get that, the good part about CLAP is it's built to be a better initial format to code in than VST or AU are. The idea is that plugin developers have at this point to code for two entirely different architectures with VST and AU, never mind AAX, with CLAP it's set up initially with the idea of portability in mind, so developers code for it first, then a set of tools helps them quickly port to AU and VST, possibly even AAX. Right now all three plugin formats are so completely different, and not at all interested in coming up with a common architecture so developers have an easier time. So it really won't matter if Pro Tools, Cubase and Logic don't ever support CLAP, if the developers use it as a framework to to port it, and the DAWs like DP, Studio One, Live, Reaper etc. do support it directly. It might be the first time another format makes their lives easier not harder.
So IMO it will win out by being a logical developer choice, and it does have serious advantages. You can add LFO's and ADSR's etc. to a plugin, polyphonically. What this means in practice is any decent synth plugin can get ADSR support beyond it's given parameters, same with FX.
I have to recognize of course that without a common plugin standard, DAWproject would be very limited.
VST3 does work, it's just in my experience the most likely in DP to fail plugin evaluation and in any DAW to be unstable.
CLAP IMO should have happened right away when Apple announced AU, we would be talking about different things.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

What has happened to DP

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:VST3 does work, it's just in my experience the most likely in DP to fail plugin evaluation and in any DAW to be unstable.
Yes you may be right. I wouldn’t know because I seldom use VST3 except in instances where it is preferred like with Console 1 or Melodyne. I’ve also had some cases where AU was actually problematic and the VST3 worked when it didn’t.

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

James Steele wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:43 pm I am very hopeful about DAWproject. I didn't know about it. I think it would be wonderful to be able to seamlessly move a project from DAW to DAW and utilize the strengths of each one. For example, compose in DP... move to Pro Tools for mixdown, etc.
I’ve played around a bit with using DAWproject with StudioOne and Bitwig. It is surprisingly and pleasingly capable even at this early stage. MIDI, audio, common plugins and their settings, automation, some simple routings like sends (iirc), tempo, and a few other things port over.

I really hope manufacturers embrace it, though it’s easy to see why they would not. Proprietary project formats creates more friction to using more than one DAW. Wrong, short-sighted and silly, but that’s never stopped anybody before..

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com