OS 14: Is It Time?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
otalgia-2000
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

OS 14: Is It Time?

Post by otalgia-2000 »

Happy New Year, everyone

For quite awhile now, my Mac Studio has been nudging me to install OS14.

I usually defer big-number updates at first out of concern for "breaking stuff" in the DAW realm, but -- do you all have any opinion on whether or not it's time yet to take the plunge?

Thanks!
o-2k

OS 13.2.1 // DP 11 // mac studio M1 Max 64 Gb RAM // UA Apollo x6 // Micro Lite // Falcon 2 | BFD3 |
Michael Canavan

Re: OS 14: Is It Time?

Post by Michael Canavan »

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... s-on-macOS

I upgraded to Sonoma following some developers advice on it, but NI, Akai, and a few others are not officially Sonoma compatible, if you own their products you might experience some rough patches.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

Thank you!

I certainly don't mind waiting a bit longer. While doing so I can inquire with my various developer-dependencies directly. as well.

All the best,
o-2k

OS 13.2.1 // DP 11 // mac studio M1 Max 64 Gb RAM // UA Apollo x6 // Micro Lite // Falcon 2 | BFD3 |
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Check out the Sweetwater Sonoma Compatibility article and chart. It’s updated often and lists almost every major manufacturer and its current status as regards Sonoma. I consult it every couple weeks myself, as I’m still on Ventura 13 and wanting to go 14. I’ve too many 3rd party plugs that are apparently still not compatible so I’m waiting.

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

What a great resource -- thanks very much!

it's here, in case anyone else wants to check it out:
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... ity-guide/

o-2k

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you don't have to, I don't recommend it yet. There are some issues that I've posted in other threads but I do not know how many are specific to Sonoma. I'll be calling MOTU to discuss one of them on Monday.

Other than that, there's a file saving issue that's been bugging some of us a long time. Before Sonoma, I thought it was DP but now I'm experiencing it in Finale and Adobe.

If using Adobe Acrobat Pro, there's an issue specific to Sonoma for which the workaround is a royal PIA. Since it was Adobe tech support that told me to upgrade for the fix (it isn't), we're gonna have a little talk about that in the coming week.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

Thank you, Mike!

I don't have any compelling requirement to make the move now, so I'll wait till things settle out further. I appreciate your wisdom on the topic, and I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties it has saddled you with!

Best regards,
o-2k