Using RX for Sample Rate Conversion with DP, HELP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Irimi Nage
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using RX for Sample Rate Conversion with DP, HELP

Post by Irimi Nage »

I have a 44.1 khz session that I’ve just finished mixing and I want to upsample to 48k for some final tweaks. I know I can use DP’s SRC more easily but would rather use iZotope RX to do the actual SRC’ing (RX sounds a little better).

I cannot figure out how to do with without painstakingly replacing every soundbite individually across 65 tracks. That is not a fun prospect, and it comes with a high potential for human error (as well as another issue detailed below).

Turning on “Edit in external waveform editor”, then opening a file in RX by double clicking its file name in the Soundbites window, then saving the resulting SRC’d files in RX, and finally returning focus to DP didn’t work. DP still thought the file was 44.1, even after restarting DP and/or switching DP to 48k.

Trying a sneakier move, using the finder to replace the 44.1 files with 48 files using identical file names didn’t work. DP still thought the files were 44.1, even after restarting DP and/or switching DP to 48k.

I’ve done this in the past with DP’s SRC and yes it can be easier. It sounded ok but RX does sound a little better ime so it’s my preference. How would one go about accomplishing this???

Also, a related issue - when trying DP’s SRC, DP was kind enough to delete EVERY SINGLE CROSSFADE ON EVERY TRACK IN THE ENTIRE SONG after the SRC. Thanks again for not fixing this, idk, 20 year old disappearing fade bug!

Yes on subsequent tries I worked with merged soundbites so the fades bug isn’t as much of an issue. Except that it is because none of these attempts have worked, and trying endless workarounds is keeping me from moving on. It’s also not helping that at the moment automatic sample rate conversions aren’t working. What a joy the modern DAW can be at times.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
mhschmieder

Re: Using RX for Sample Rate Conversion with DP, HELP

Post by mhschmieder »

Hmm, I'm trying to think if this relates to issues I had with RX SRC, where I think I gave up and did a manual process with re-import into DP, but the bigger issue I faced, which may not be fixed (not sure which side the bug was on) is that the SRC-ed track would often have incorrect time scale for its new sample rate. I think RX was saving a file twice too long and I had to do a tiny trim at the end and re-save it just to get it into a sane state so that I could probably map it to tempi in DP.

I switched to Steinberg Wavelab for SRC a few months back and don't expect to ever use RX for that task again. I'm super happy with how Wavelab handles SRC, quality-wise, feature-wise, and in terms of how well the files work with DP, but of course, unlike RX, Wavelab does not have plug-in modules for use in DAW's, so it's a manual workflow, not friendly to your bulk processing needs.

I may still have my notes on RX SRC integration with DP. There's a strong chance I'll find those notes by the weekend due to my current project work. I also have a vague recollection of a batch processor, but it might have died during 64-bit porting.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

Thank you, I’m definitely going to check out Wavelab as an option for this. Even having DP do the SRC’ing internally was a total bust.

I scrapped the idea for the moment and continued on at 44.1. I’ll see what’s up with Wavelab, thanks again.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Good luck. Just be aware that the documentation for Steinberg products takes some getting used to, and it can be hard to find things in the docs, but once you get a hang of their way of talking about things, and their workflow, it becomes second nature. It's also nice that they do an EXCELLENT job of persisting project and plug-in settings, even after a crash!
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH