[MOTU M4] What is the use of the Line Outputs? (Outboard Gear)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Gir
Primary DAW OS: Windows

[MOTU M4] What is the use of the Line Outputs? (Outboard Gear)

Post by Gir »

Hello everyone,

I am new to recording using Cubase on Win10. Reading the M Series User Guide I came across this:
In this mode, you can then quickly press the A/B button to switch between the A speakers and B speakers. More specifically, in A/B mode, LINE OUT 1-2 no longer function as independent outputs. instead, they mirror the signal on the MONITOR 1-2 outputs, and the A/B switch controls which pair plays.
Do I understand correctly that I can send signals independent of my main mix to these outputs, in order to treat certain signals with outboard gear? If not, what are they used for?

I'd like to try out connecting outboard gear, how can I do this with a M4 and Cubase?

Thanks in advance!
CharlzS

Re: [MOTU M4] What is the use of the Line Outputs? (Outboard Gear)

Post by CharlzS »

On the M4 you can use outboard gear by using out 3 and 4 as insert sends and input 3 and 4 as insert returns. Don't know how that's configured in Cubase, but definitely doable. That particular monitor switching feature that you quoted is for the M6.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Gir

Post by Gir »

CharlzS wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:52 am On the M4 you can use outboard gear by using out 3 and 4 as insert sends and input 3 and 4 as insert returns. Don't know how that's configured in Cubase, but definitely doable. That particular monitor switching feature that you quoted is for the M6.
Thank you for your response! Can you give me a keyword I can use to find further information on how to configure this in cubase?
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Search Cubase help for External Effects. You'll probably get better answers in a Cubase forum since it's the software you're looking to set up.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Gir

Post by Gir »

Okay. Thanks!