No Input

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

No Input

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey gang........
I'm on a new system and something isn't working. Perhaps one of you can tell me what I'm missing.

Just installed DP11.3 on my new Mac Studio (macOS 14.2.1). I did several mixes with no problem, but when I want to record I have nothing (no sound or audio input meter deflection).
• Audio interface is an Apogee Quartet (USB), which I've used with DP on a Mac Pro for a decade
• Playback through the Quartet is working flawlessly
• I can see and hear audio input in the Apogee Control 2 app (confirms 4 channels on input)
• I can also see meter deflection in System Settings->Sound->Input
• The Quartet is selected in DP's Setup->Configure Audio System->Configure Hardware Driver…
• Quartet is also selected in Audio/MIDI Setup, and in System Settings->Sound
• All sources agree on 48kHz sample rate.
• DP input bundles look fine. Even tried deleting and recreating an input bundle.

What am I missing???
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: No Input

Post by James Steele »

This might be a really easy one Rick.... might be that you just have to enable the microphone in DP. I think it's under the Privacy & Security settings. I'll try to go find it and take a screen shot.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

microphone.jpg
microphone.jpg (72.75 KiB) Viewed 1328 times

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:24 pmI did several mixes with no problem...
BTW... I can't resist asking: how are you liking Apple Silicon now versus your old Intel Mac?

Rick Cornish

No Input

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote:This might be a really easy one Rick.... might be that you just have to enable the microphone in DP. I think it's under the Privacy & Security settings. I'll try to go find it and take a screen shot.
Ooohhh… good idea. I turned off a bunch of that stuff to get rid of that annoying microphone in the menu bar… I bet that is it.

I’m down at the house for the night to celebrate with my girls. I’ll let you know if that works when I next get back in front of my system.

On the Mac Studio….
So far, I like it.
It’s faster and more responsive than my old Intel.
But I have had more crashes: Things stop working… select restart in menu… machine won’t shut all the way down… have to hold the power button to restart.
Still sorting that out.

I think Sonoma is taking more getting used to than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro I
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

No Input

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:Ooohhh… good idea. I turned off a bunch of that stuff to get rid of that annoying microphone in the menu bar… I bet that is it.
Yep. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t. Unfortunately that annoying orange icon can’t be turned off AFAIK. I hope Apple changes that!
…machine won’t shut all the way down…
I’ve been plagued by this one since the first day I got my Mac Studio. I narrowed it down to something to do with my MOTU 828es connected via TB. If I power down the 828es prior to shutting down the Mac Studio it will shut down reliably. But if I leave the 828es on, sometimes the Mac Studio spontaneously restarts with an error that it wasn’t properly shut down. I reported it to MOTU and they say that can’t reproduce it.

Rick Cornish

No Input

Post by Rick Cornish »

That sucks, James. I banged out 4-5 mixes today. I quit DP and re-launched after each one. About half the time, when I relaunched and tried to open another project, it beachballed and I had to force quit and restart… which didn’t work, requiring a hard restart. That never happened on my Intel machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:28 pm This might be a really easy one Rick.... might be that you just have to enable the microphone in DP. I think it's under the Privacy & Security settings. I'll try to go find it and take a screen shot.
Thank you, sir… that did it. I must plead ignorance (thus far) of most things Sonoma and this was one of them. I'll just have to get used to that ugly orange microphone icon in the menu bar.

Thanks again, James.
Rick Cornish