(Motu M4) Microphone Volume is Exceptionally Quiet Both in DAWs and Other Voice Apps

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
RandomDude
Primary DAW OS: Windows

(Motu M4) Microphone Volume is Exceptionally Quiet Both in DAWs and Other Voice Apps

Post by RandomDude »

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I decided I would make an account on this website to ask a question whose answer I have been searching for quite a while.

Long story short, my Motu M4 output is quiet, very quiet. Whether I am recording vocals in various DAWs or using apps like Discord to chat with my friends, the result is still the same.

For more context I am using the Shure MV7 routed into my Motu 4, which is then routed via USB into my computer. Here is what I have tried thus far, as well as some testing.

In Windows Audio, my format is 2 channels, 24 bit, 48000 Hz. Any higher than this, and my microphone produces no volume at all. My input volume is at 100. I do not have the gain on my interface turned all the way up. I keep it at around 75%. Even with the gain at 100%, I was given about a 50% total volume result using the "test your microphone" feature on windows.

Aside from this, in other apps such as discord, my volume is always maxed at 200%, yet the result is still the same, quiet volume when talking. I have also tried various configurations with my microphone positioning, and even speaking directly into it. This is better, but certainly not preferred.

I was just curious as to whether or not anyone has experienced similar issues, and if there were any suggestions someone could give me.

Thanks again.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: (Motu M4) Microphone Volume is Exceptionally Quiet Both in DAWs and Other Voice Apps

Post by mikehalloran »

Although it has an XLR out, the MV7 is designed to be plugged directly into your computer via USB. All comparative reviews state that the MV7 does have a higher output than the SM7B, a mic with a notoriously low output. These reviews state things such as “we turned the preamp gain down one notch…” Yea… it was still plugged into an external mic pre.

Modern interfaces such as the M4 function best with high output condenser mics. When using dynamic mics, a mic preamp or mic booster such as the Triton is not a bad idea.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X ... UTF8&psc=1
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro