Favorite or recommended synth VIs

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Favorite or recommended synth VIs

Post by stubbsonic »

I have Dune 2. But there were some things I wanted it to do that it wouldn't. (obscure things, no doubt).

Vital seemed to eclipse it. And now Falcon as well.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:24 pm
cuttime wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:51 am ...and don't forget that the full version of Alchemy exists in MainStage. Also, I'd skip SynthMaster - probably my least used synth.
I forgot about that — thanks for the reminder! If not purchased with the Pro Apps for Education Bundle, it's $29.99 on its own through the App Store.[...]
Thanx Mike and Cuttime. Yes, for sure I know that and I own Logic and Mainstage licenses too.
But in case someone is aware of a reliable and future-proof way to use Apple-Alchemy within DP, please chime in.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
tremo

Post by tremo »

daniel.sneed wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:30 am Thanx Mike and Cuttime. Yes, for sure I know that and I own Logic and Mainstage licenses too.
But in case someone is aware of a reliable and future-proof way to use Apple-Alchemy within DP, please chime in.
You can do it using the Blue Cat Connector plugin, which passes audio and/or MIDI back and forth between applications. I had it working a few years ago using Alchemy in Logic/Mainstage and recording in Studio One. I think I was able to record the MIDI in Studio One and have it trigger Alchemy, while also recording the audio on a Studio One track. I don't see why it couldn't be done in DP.

It's a bit gnarly (at least it was for me) to wrap your head around and get set up, but once you get over any initial hurdles you can save templates in Logic and whatever other DAW. I really need to go back and figure it out again, because I miss Alchemy too!

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... Connector/

Here's a video by Eli Krantzberg showing some of the possibilities with Connector:

https://youtu.be/SFwaTIO1uK0?si=p6dqxfh_ZxjsM-Ag
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.4.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 10.8
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

tremo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:25 amYou can do it using the Blue Cat Connector plugin, which passes audio and/or MIDI back and forth between applications. I had it working a few years ago using Alchemy in Logic/Mainstage and recording in Studio One. I think I was able to record the MIDI in Studio One and have it trigger Alchemy, while also recording the audio on a Studio One track. I don't see why it couldn't be done in DP.
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... Connector/
Here's a video by Eli Krantzberg showing some of the possibilities with Connector:
https://youtu.be/SFwaTIO1uK0?si=p6dqxfh_ZxjsM-Ag
Thanks Tremo.
I bought Blucataudio Connector long ago and have never used it since.
Hum... Time has come to get thru!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

tremo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:25 am You can do it using the Blue Cat Connector plugin, which passes audio and/or MIDI back and forth between applications.
I wasn’t aware of the Blue Cat thing. But you can do the same thing just using Interapplication MIDI and a virtual audio device, using these to connect DP to Logic. Send MIDI to Logic and audio back to DP. You can compensate for the extra delay by sending MIDI a bit early. Making template for both DP and Logic makes it easier to get a project started.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Jim

Post by Jim »

Have you seen the preview videos for Synthmaster 3? It's epic! Up to 256 oscillators (using unison mode)! Modulators! Sampler! New effects!

They've released an alpha version.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

tremo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:25 am You can do it using the Blue Cat Connector plugin, which passes audio and/or MIDI back and forth between applications. I had it working a few years ago using Alchemy in Logic/Mainstage and recording in Studio One. I think I was able to record the MIDI in Studio One and have it trigger Alchemy, while also recording the audio on a Studio One track. I don't see why it couldn't be done in DP.
I wonder if Blue Cat Connector has improved latency. As Bayswater mentioned, Interapp MIDI is pretty laggy.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:44 am I wonder if Blue Cat Connector has improved latency. As Bayswater mentioned, Interapp MIDI is pretty laggy.
Laggy but correctable. Unfortunately a manual process. That do-dad added to DP a few years ago to correct for latency on an external channel never did work properly.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
NoFi Audio
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by NoFi Audio »

I haven't acquired a new VSTi in a very long time. I keep an old laptop with a solid image that I can restore at any time with many of my old favourites from my first studio.

My go-tos for almost everything are Nexus 2.0, FM8, and Massive. I worry about updating things, as a lot of these are 32bit, and I know switching to the 64bit VST host (Live Professor), I'd lose all the patches and song builds I have... and there are a lot. Maybe one day, but not anytime soon. There are a couple freeware type synths in there too, but I generally don't load them up right away.

Steve - NoFi Audio
AMD Ryzen 9 5950, ASUS Crosshair VIII, 64Gb, Samsung EVO 980 NVMe, Nvidia 3080 GFX

MOTU 828 MKII (x2)
MOTU 2408 MKI (x2)
Mackie 24/8